Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Pump
    Posted: January 12 2017 at 2:53pm
I just received the pump that comes with the CAD Lights setup (a Jebo AP3500) rated at 660 gph, but they didn't send me the top part that hooks to the plumbing. This is a cheap pump, and I'd rather replace it now with something better. The tank is drilled and came with a 1/2" bulkhead with flexible tubing for a return line, and if possible, I'd like to use the same hookup/parts that came with the tank. Does anyone have any pump suggestions?
60g LPS Cube
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 6:46am
Ok, I was up early. Tongue Noticed this thread had no replies. Throwing out some remarks FWIW. Wacko

Many similar rated pumps may work, but is it really pumping 660 gph?
The Mag-Drive 7 pumps 700 gph. That's a hefty pump
Little Giant PES-700 does 725 gph
The Eheim 1260 pumps 634 gph
An AquaEuroUSA Apex does 656 gph
The Hydor L40 pumps 740 gph
All these pumps are priced at over $60 whereas a new Jebo AP3500 is only $32. That's one reason why I question the flow rating. The other reason is technical. A 1/2" diameter line would not be what I would use to carry 660 gph. I'd probably use 3/4" piping for that kind of flow.

If I were going to use the Jebo and the part that was missing is the 1/2" diameter threaded(?) part that connects the pump to the vinyl tubing, I'd check at a hardware store for a suitable threaded-barbed fitting.

Couldn't let this go yet Geek I found a video clip showing a broken Jebo pump impeller where the plastic blade assembly was no longer attached inside the magnet bore. From what I saw, I wonder if it might be fixed with gel super glue or reef safe epoxy. A quick search didn't find any replacement impellers for this pump. That tells me it's a cheap pump that's built to be trashed when the impeller goes bad!

Hopefully someone with direct experience with this CAD Lights tank or pump will jump in. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 10:04am
Thanks Mark. It says 660 gph in the specs for the pump, but I'm very doubtful based upon the quality/price of the pump. I'm open to any advice, but I'm limited to the 1/2" hole drilled in the tank for the return. Anyone know where I can find a decently priced pump which would match my 1/2" return? I'll most likely not get 600+ gph with my limited tube diameter no matter what pump I get. 
60g LPS Cube
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 12:38pm
I've got a mag5 $30
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 3:17pm
Did you get it locally by chance? 
60g LPS Cube
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 3:48pm
No
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 4:07pm
Dang. How did you get it for $30? I see them online for $80.
60g LPS Cube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic