Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neptune Systems Insider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

I was wondering more for initial setup. If I'm getting 8.4 dkh with my hanna and then put on the trident, would it read close to the same number or would it be different? Sounds like in your case it read roughly .5 dkh differently, correct?

In my case yes it was right around 0.5dKh off of my Hanna. That doesn't mean it will be that close to yours as the Hanna can be effected by many things like scratches in the cuvet, dirty cuvet, expired reagent, the accuracy of the amount of water you put in the cuvet. I guess what I am getting at is if you know what your Hanna numbers have been and you track those numbers against the Trident for a period of time then I'm not sure how far off from each other the numbers are really matters. If you are looking to know that your numbers are exact then you would have to be able to take a water sample to a commercial lab and have it tested within and hour of you collecting it to get even close to exact. Alk is effected by CO2 in the air.

Why can't they be discussed? I thought the NDA was done? I would rather do 2 alk test and use less reagents. Since I don't have a DOS, I'm going to be using a 3rd party for the dosing anyways and having the extra tests doesn't do me any good or help increase stability. So there's no way to limit it to less then 4 test.

It can't be discussed because it has to do with their intellectual property and design details that are not released to the public and are included in patents that are in filing. Release from the NDA is for general information and excludes some topics that Neptune has deemed sensitive.

Fewer tests does not show you usage numbers through out the day. You don't have to have a DOS to have dynamic dosing that increases or decreases throughout the day. You only have to have a DOS if you want the adjustments to be made by the Trident automatically. 4 test per day has actually come in handy a few times during the NSI to show clogged dosing lines, empty dosing containers and a few other mishaps that testing once a day or less would not have caught. There is also the issue of the reagent life once it's opened being only 2 months so reducing tests and saving reagents is really just wasting reagents as they start to break down after the 2 months.

I didn't know you were using a reactor, I though you were using 2-part. I haven't really though about the trident with a reactor. Interesting...I'm going to have to give that some thought!

Suprise!

Can you tell how much it changes during each calibration?

Well I can see the last test before the calibration, then the calibration numbers, and then the first test after the calibration. That should give you a pretty close value to any change in the baseline if you wanted to track that once every 2 months.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - May 13 2019 at 7:10pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 7:17pm
Terence Fugazzi and Duane Oestreike(sp) are both using some creative coding to use a Trident with a reactor. One is using the Trident results to adjust the reactor pH up and down changing the amount of media being dissolved. The other is using the Trident results to adjust the effluent flow through the reactor and letting the Apex maintain pH to increase or decrease the reactor produced amount added to the tank. 

While doing this is not as simple as running a task like many other Trident related things are it is written up and being posted in the Neptune general forums for people to read and implement if they so desire.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 10:37am
Thanks for the info! I'm excited to give it a shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic