Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reasonable Reef Tank Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasonable Reef Tank Dream
    Posted: January 15 2017 at 2:30pm
I have been planning out 2 tank designs the first one is The Red Sea Reefer XL 525 (108gal) the Second is a 250gallon Marineland tank with sump over flows.  Below is the list of things I would need for each tank. What one would you pick? Also what would you do differently? (This is not a complete list) I have to say this is one of my favorite parts of this hobby. TongueBig smile  (I didn't put each name of the equipment I was planning to use like the brands etc.) Hope you enjoy! 
Red Sea Reefer XL 525 $6900.00
250 Gallon $8300.00
-       Tank $2600.00
-       Sump Included
-       Stand Included
-       Heater 200w $40.00/150w $37.00
-       Apex Controller $1200.00
-       Return Pump $205.00
-       API T5 6x80w Light $606.00
-       Bulbs $145.00
-       RODI $240.00
-       Skimmer: $300.00
-       JBJ Chiller $780.00
-       ATO $210.00*
-       Salt $77.00x2
-       Rock $150.00
-       Sand $160.00
-        
-       Tank $2200.00
-       Sump $430.00
-       Self Build Stand $150.00
-       Heater 300w x2 $42.00
-       Apex Controller $1200.00
-       Apex Wav Pump $200.00
-       Return Pump $205.00 x 2
-       API T5 8x80w Light $712.00
-       Bulbs $195.00
-       RODI $240.00
-       External Skimmer $670.00
-       Chiller ½hp $ 880.00
-       ATO $210.00*
-       Salt $77.00x2
-       Rock $250.00
-       Sand $235
-        

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 2:40pm
I say Reasonable because i'm sure we all dream of it owning a 1,000gallon tank. That is not reasonable. Hahah
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 2:53pm
So some of it depends on where you want to put it and what you want to put in it?  If you want bigger coral and fish then the 250 is the way to go.  Do you also want to put it together and plumb or do you want it a bit simpler?

I think you can shave some cost off too.  You don't have to have the Apex to start so you can save some money for now.  

Why do you think you need a Chiller?  I have a 180 with same ATI fixture and haven't had temp issues with good fan movement.  You maybe able to save a lot waiting and seeing on that.  

You may be able to go a bit cheaper on skimmer too.  Well thought out.  Should be great system no matter what you go.  
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 1:25am
Bigger the better. Lol
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 11:06am
Your "reasonable" is a bit different than my reasonable LOL but this thread may assist in helping your dream become reality. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81771

Aloha,
Mark  Hug 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 11:13am
Just two observations. Are you adamant on buying all new gear as oppose to used? ATI fixtures are going fast and inexpensive everywhere as many aquarists ditch them to move onto LEDs. Would the Red Sea Reefer be low flow? I didn't see any powerheads listed for it. ;)
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 8:34pm
Good point evan... he'll want to add a few powerheads to that reefer. The return pump alone isn't sufficient.
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 8:38am
I would go with the 250 if it fits your home well and you plan to be there awhile. Bigger is better. I agree with other posts, you should be able to shave some costs here and there and you won't need all of the equipment right at first.

Get the essentials and start cycling the tank and moving to water stability. After the initial setup take the next 3 months to add lights, controllers, skimmers, additional water movement, etc. Take the next 3 months to add your corals/more fish (which will be a good chunk of change in itself).

I agree with you, the planning and putting the pieces together is one of the funnest parts of our hobby. Here's a new starfire setup on sale that you may or may not have considered.
http://www.scaquariums.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=SCA-240GPNP

Keep us posted.
Here we go again
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 10:52am
If it was me, I would go with the 250G.

I have an older Red Sea Max S400 and although I love it a ton, the area to work in is rather cramped. With a larger tank, like a 250G, you will have a massive footprint to add and hide equipment under.

I think you can cut costs, if you wanted to. I paid around $2k for my Red Sea, with my upgraded skimmer and pumps, versus $5k retail. The opportunity arose and I snagged it quickly. Just the other day, I saw a super nice set up, value around $20k, for around $8k. 

I would also check out both tanks in person. I think you will be impressed when you see a 250G in person far more than a Red Sea. There is something awesome about that deep dimension. 

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 11:31am
If it were me... I would go 250 without a doubt. Like Marcoss said, you will have more footprint to work with. If I could plumb a brand new tank, I would also focus on making it as quiet as possible. I would also ditch the T5's and chiller and add LED's and a nice UV.  I won't run another larger reef without a good UV. Probably would only have 1 300W heater as well until I saw a definite need to add another. I don't think there any reason to wait 3 months to cycle and another 3 for adding livestock with the cultured bacteria on the market today. 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 12:46pm
I noticed your budget on the chiller.  Not sure if you're doing a canopy or what, but I eliminated the expense of my chiller by using 2 fans on my 400 gallon system.  These will drop the temp as much as 10 degrees.  My apex is set up to kick them on when the temp hits X and turn off when the temp drops to X. I tried MANY variations of where to put these fans, including the sump.  I'll tell you this, pointing them straight down on the water brings the temp down much much faster than pointing them across the top of the water.  

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 6:44pm
Aaron, cool post! Helpful info, and I like that photo.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 10:48pm
I've always been intimidated by leds that and cost. Granted the cost of bulbs add up quickly. I can get used stuff I just tend to lean towards new because then I know the condition is new and don't risk running into problems. Im odd like that. Me and my brother-in-law saw a guys 210 the other day and about died with how amazing it was! This hobbie is fun and addictive! Haha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic