Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cycle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cycle
    Posted: January 16 2017 at 7:40pm
How long can I expect my nitrite levels to remain high during my cycle?

I put water in Dec 26. Amonnia is at .5 and Nitrites are at 2.

I've had a bout of brown diatoms and are now going through some green algae....not hair.

Just wondering how much longer to expect.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 8:07pm
8 weeks is standard but depending on what type of rock, sand and Macroalgae were used in setup it could be more or less than the standard. 

I have been advising for a few years how to set up a tank so that it doesn't have to go through the dreaded "cycle", so it can have animals within a week of setup. Read about it in the thread referred in my signature line below. 

There are hobbyists in this group that, like me, provide live stuff for this purpose to other hobbyists. I'm sure there are some in Ogden. Just ask here or give me a call/text and come get some from me. I give it away for free to hobbyists starting up a new tank.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 16 2017 at 8:12pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 8:28pm
Did you put anything ( food,  Shrimp etc) in the tank top start the cycle off?  Are you currently feeding anything to the tank? General rule is that diatoms and green algae come once the cycle is nearly complete and there is generally tiny or no ammonia level. Have you tried another test kit or taken your water to a store to have it tested?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 1:09am
Yea, depending on how you started, it could take a week to a month or more. Just keep testing and once ammonia and nitrite levels start to go to zero, you should be there.
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 7:22pm
0 across the board

Nitrates at 10!

I don't see a need to do a water change.....anyone disagree? I did 5 gallons last Saturday to try to help the cycle move along.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 8:06pm
depends on what else is in there. Check all your levels including phosphates. If it seems off, then do one. But it never hurts to add some fresh water in, just not 100%.
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 8:40pm
I'd love NO3 at 10ppm! I agree with Phys. Check your phosphate to make sure its in an acceptable range and that you have more nitrogen than phosphorus.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 8:50pm
Nitrate level of 10 ppm is very acceptable. Assuming ammonia and nitrite are also low.

Not knowing what the tank was like or how it was maintained before you bought it, its impossible to say that PO4 needs attention. It certainly could run well for a long time, if there is Macroalgae in it eating up Nitrogen and Phosphate pollution.

The addition of snails, a few hermits and some soft coral can be done now without worry.

Aloha,
Mark

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 19 2017 at 8:52pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 9:11pm
Mark,

The tank is brand new. It is an EVO 13.5 gallon all in one. I have a sand bed of about 3 inches which I used " love sand in a bag ".
I'm running the PS2 Fluval skimmer with a large clump of Chaeto algae.

I'll check phosphates tomorrow.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 11:18pm
I try to have some easy stuff and watch for it doing well. For me, it takes the guess work out. I want it to be ready, I test it and it seems ready, but until I see some macro algae growing well, it is not ready. And then, if easy macro grows, it might be ready for snails and a few crabs.
Maybe an odd question, but how does it smell?
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 5:51pm
Fishy
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 8:05pm
Phosphates are 0.....thanks everyone!
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2017 at 3:02pm
Fishy means it's not ready, unless some scum is drying out on the edges and is the only cause of the smell.
The beach smells because of everything dead out of the water. High tide smells cleaner than low tide.
After the cycle is over, I notice a cleaner ocean smell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic