Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why you should check your pumps regularly...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why you should check your pumps regularly...
    Posted: January 21 2017 at 11:27pm
1. I found an mp40 with a splitting magnet.
2. Dirty impellers slow flow and cause more work on the pump.
3. I found a pump with a broken impeller.
4. Too much stuff on your intake can clog your pump.

Anybody else think of a reason? lol
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 8:48am
Good thread.
I don't typically depend on controller automation which can send a convenient alert when the temperature is out of range but can't tell when a pump has stopped pushing water.
For me, it's the same reason I observe and casually check my systems every time I walk by. I check that the animals look right, that the water is moving at the right speed in the right direction, that the stick-on thermometer on the corner of the tank is reading the right temperature, etc., etc..

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 10:47am
Swollen impellers on small pumps, and corroded magnets on stream style magnets come to my mind.
Also, cleaning off intake screens.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 11:28am
Or if you have a reefflo to see if the seals have blown yet. :)
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 2:30pm
Great topic!

I have actually been playing with the idea of adding a flow sensor to my return pump line so that I can visually see on my controller graphs when my return needs to be cleaned or is having problems. I do clean the pump every 6 months or when I notice that the flow seems to be lower. 

I am in the same boat as Mark on this one and observe my tank and when I notice that things are out of whack fix them - but sometimes life gets busy and you don't notice until it is too late, which is why I am looking into flow sensors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic