Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Light Housing for 150g

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Light Housing for 150g
    Posted: January 26 2017 at 1:18am
hi allllll,
So I got some new woodworking tools (toys) for Christmas so now I'm planning on stepping up my game on the DIY woodwork that surrounds my tank.

First up, I'm going to redo my LED light housing so it'll be nicer and work better for the space. It'll be a bit deeper to spread things out a bit and a bit taller to block light spill into the other part of the room. I need to revamp the wiring to make it a little cleaner looking also.

Here's the plan for the housing... a little more than 4 feet wide, about 10 inches front to back, at between 5-6 inches tall depending on the cut of wood I'm shipped. I'm hoping more toward 6 inches tall. It'll be a floating mount like my current setup. I'll be installing 5 fans to help the air flow over the LEDs.

I've ordered the type of wood already after looking around and I'll be doing a lighter colored wood instead of the dark, ebony stained wood I have now. I've chosen Limba Wood from western Africa (hopefully sustainably acquired). I plan on doing a high gloss finish with rounded edges for a smooth look. Here's an example of the wood but not the actual bit I ordered... lets hope it looks similar at least.

So wish me luck that I don't mess it up! Feel free to make suggestions or tips! I'll try to post pictures as I go, it'll probably take a few weeks to do it with the time I have available and the amount of work I expect to put into it, mostly into the finish. Later, I plan on adding cabinet doors and sides to my stand to help finish the look on it.

Edited by phys - January 26 2017 at 1:47am
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 6:41am
Where's the pictures of the "toys"? You mention them and then post a picture of wood?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 6:19pm
Oh just a router, table saw and router table... Nothing fancy enough for a picture I spose. Lol
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 4:29am
So after several months of getting new tools, calibrating and alinging as well as learning how to use stuff and also waiting for wood to arrive, Im getting close to finishing the fixture. I hand planed the boards to get out twist and thickness differences and mitered the joints. I then routed the edges and next going to look for some other wood to fill in the end gaps here's a picture of what i have so far.

P.s. i found out tonight that it fluoresces under UV light!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 9:11am
wood that fluoresces?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 10:21am
What kind of wood is that? It's gorgeous
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 1:03am
Black Limba. Hard to find with the grain I was looking for. Not the cheapest but not bad for pricing. 

Yea! Wood fluoresces! I'll see if I can post a decent picture. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 1:10am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 7:34am
That is awesome. Star
Makes me want to drop by after it's finished. It's been years since I saw your tanks. Reminds me of your amazing presentation to the club about fluorescence.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. 
It was fantastic that you were available to help with the emergency water change for Ross Bagshaw's 180.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 4:41am
Finished! Took me awhile to do it, get all the tools, the wood, and learn how to do it all.

I hand planed all the wood, routed the long egdes and used a miter joint on the corners. I ussd a smaller miter joint than the thickness of the wood to give me about a 1" inset corner to add some ebony ends. Couldnt power router thhe ends due to the ebony being too brittle. I had to round them with a hand block plane. Used some clear undercoat sealer and then a clear gloss top coat. Four fans and migrated the leds from the old setup to the new. Added a large 19 wire cable with connectors on top for easy removal if needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic