Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with LED light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mrfixer3166 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with LED light
    Posted: January 30 2017 at 6:39am
Hello,
I'm pretty much a new to Utahreefs.com I have been into fresh water fish for about 35 years and have always wanted a salt water tank. I purchased a nanocube and haven't had very much luck but I'm not discouraged. I want a bigger tank and am looking for a used one. As a lot of us I assume you don't have a lot of money. I'm disabled from a back injury and am on a fixed income. I have my 32 gallon sump and skimmer, pump, etc. Anyway back to question.
Question:
    I purchased a used Led light from Ksl.  A cheap box light with 55 LEDs and I can tell its not expensive light but the blue lights are probably 85% brighter than the white ones. I have experience in electronics and have thought about replacing the white LEDS and resistors. I took apart and clean everything and have not unsoldered anything to test component's. I put back together and looked at the light (blue LEDS are blinding and the white ones look really dim. my question is, Is that normal?  
120 Gallon 48 inch tank with 36 gallon Refugium. Sps,Lps
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 7:53am
I think that all depends on the fixture. It could be that the manufacturer of that fixture used 3watt Blue LEDs and 1 Watt whites. This would cause them to be significantly dimmer than the blues for sure. It could also be a weak drivers, a faulty dimmer adjustment knob, etc..

Do you have any pictures of the unit or the LEDs to show the difference?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 9:39am
Krazie4Acans   I'm trying to upload some pictures but its not working for some reason. I tried on my phone and I'm on my pc now so hold for a little while. thank so much for your help. Mitchell
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 9:42am
Are you getting an error when you try or just need help with how to do it on the forum?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 9:47am
I cant delete from the upload window. I have tried to post but keep getting an error uploading. I have pictures in the upload que that I tried to upload few months ago and I want to delete them but I have no delete menu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 9:49am
I'm gonna try another browser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 10:09am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 10:12am
It doesnt even have on and off switches. I tested the output on the drivers and they were the same. The white lights are barely on it seems. the blue lights are so bright you can not look at the light to long.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 10:26am
That looks like the way that particular light was designed. I don't see any burned out LED's or discolored lens's on any of them.  You could replace a few of the blues if you are good at soldering. You need a good soldering iron to heat them up enough as they are soldered to an aluminum board for heat removal.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 10:28am
so non-dimmable, just on or off.

When these have dimmers, a lot of us just run an output similar to what these are probably running.  Reef tanks are supposed to look really blue!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 10:41am
Just in case it helps here is a tutorial about how to upload pictures on the forum.

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78772
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 6:51pm
Thanks guys
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 6:32pm
I agree that it appears the light is just like that, probably 1W white LED's. The blue part of the spectrum is very important for growing coral. Hopefully that light has the right LED's to grow coral. Not all LED's are the same, even though they may look the same to our eyes.

Originally posted by Mrfixer3166 Mrfixer3166 wrote:

I purchased a nanocube and haven't had very much luck but I'm not discouraged.
As far as setup there are good, better and best techniques as well as methods that sorely fail. Many problems in setting up a healthy Reef can be avoided by following the tips and instruction located below in my signature line.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic