Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Led build questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 6:35pm
Haven't been able to find anymore bridgelux leds they are the ones that are currently on the boards. Any ideas on tracking some down?
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 8:23pm
Rapid led used to sell them. Did you check there?  Led group buy has Cree 3watt leds on stars  that can be removed and then soldered on those lights as well. I bought most of my replacements from Amazon or eBay there are a couple of sellers that sell some 3watt Chinese LEDs without the stars in packs of 10 or more.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - February 26 2017 at 8:24pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 8:42pm
I only checked reef builders or breeders one of those lol. I'll hunt on amazon. Thanks :)
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 7:34pm
I'll be buying leds on friday. Any recommendations? Going with violet and royal blue. Have 99 to replace. Also it was that loose diode causing the failast did the wire test so we are still good to go!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 8:08pm
I would probably include some other blues  in there. Some 460nm blue and possibly even some actinic blue or azure blue depending on what they have available. RB for sure. What spectrum are the violet? Get them as close to 400nm as you can.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 9:28pm
Haven't pinned down any exacts yet. Lots of choices lol.
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 9:30pm
My t5 combo is 4 blue+ 1 coral + 1 purple +, a 6500k, and a true atinic (not digging it) but I'll look into other blues
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 9:43pm
My personal choices for T5's would be to get rid of the 6500k and the actinic and put another Blue+ and a coral+ in their place.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 10:43pm
I was told faster growth comes from the 6500k. And I think I will be taking the atinic out. Just put it in and it doesn't do much
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 12:40am
Come to the talk on Thursday! ;) Also, be aware that if you do different led colors and types, you'll either have to add resistors to each led to match their power usage or you'll have to run them on different drivers so they don't get messed up from bad power matching. If you do different colors, it would be beneficial to have separate power channels so you can dial them in separately.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 6:52am
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

Come to the talk on Thursday! ;) Also, be aware that if you do different led colors and types, you'll either have to add resistors to each led to match their power usage or you'll have to run them on different drivers so they don't get messed up from bad power matching. If you do different colors, it would be beneficial to have separate power channels so you can dial them in separately.

This is the case with CREE LEDs but with the Chinese ones and Bridgelux ones they are all the same current rating and voltage varies by only about .4-.7 volts. The exception might be the Violet. They tend to be lower voltage.

The nice thing about these Chinese fixtures is that they use a constant current source driver. This driver maintains the current output in the LED string at the same value all the time. It also has a voltage output range of ~52-100volts DC. So a pretty wide range to handle mixing different voltage LED's
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 8:08am
Phys- It would be a 4 hour drive to come down for the meeting lol a little to far. Theven board has 2 power channels with a led display and control panel.
Krazie4acans- the current leds look the same as the bridgelux but when I was looking on amazon I found the same style but pretty sure they were chinese bulbs. Are Chinese bulbs that bad or just need to be replaced more?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Seth Seth wrote:

Phys- It would be a 4 hour drive to come down for the meeting lol a little to far. Theven board has 2 power channels with a led display and control panel.
Krazie4acans- the current leds look the same as the bridgelux but when I was looking on amazon I found the same style but pretty sure they were chinese bulbs. Are Chinese bulbs that bad or just need to be replaced more?

The Chinese ones are not "Bad". They generally have a shorter life span and their color may be in a small range instead of an actual set spectrum. This doesn't make them bad just different than Bridgelux or CREE which have pretty specific spectrum colors for each LED type. I think for your use in creating a supplemental blue LED light they will be more than adequate, plus the price of the diodes makes them a great value.

Make sure you get the polarity correct when you are putting them on because one LED in backwards will make the entire string not light up just like the broken LED did. The diodes will have one tab that is shaped different than the other. so that you can figure out which way is the correct direction. A double A battery with a couple of wires on it should light up the LED enough to figure out which side is positive.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 10:20am
That is all great advice! Hopefully I get some time tonight to really look through all the options. So I can get them done and get that blue look and color pop back
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 10:21am
Once they are done I will be pulling the atinic out and putting the coral+ back in. Only traded then so my colors weren't so washed out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic