Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Worms?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Worms?
    Posted: February 19 2017 at 9:51am
Sorry for all the posts haha..

Does anyone cultivate black worms? Is it difficult or worth it for that matter? I hear they're really good for fish possibly corals??

If you do how do you do it?

Edited by kmtfishchannel - February 19 2017 at 9:54am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 11:48am
I don't know if they are worth the trouble.

Fish 4 U has carried them. They have recommended black worms for Mandarins that hadn't yet learned to eat frozen.

Benepets also used to carry them but they are closed. I would call their old store manager, Rusty that started his own store, Rusty's Reefs, across the street from The Aquarium.

Aloha,
Mark
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 4:07pm
I raised them for years on campus. They were super easy, assuming you have a CO2 tank. But really, why? Frozen blood worms are just so easy to buy.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 6:38pm
I agree with Adam, plus, you know from the other thread that I find the best way is to feed the bugs and worms to increase their populations in my systems. Phytoplankton is one of the best things that can be fed and it does not need to be live. My tanks love frozen Tahitian Blend Algae paste from Brine Shrimp Direct. Except for Tridacna Clams, the large animals don't eat it, they just benefit up the food chain.

Back in the day when I grew phytoplankton, none of the present day foods were available. It's only been in the last 10 years or so that we have seen an explosion of nutritious frozen foods and also some micron size prepared foods like BSD Golden Pearls for feeding the animals at the bottom of the food chain.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic