Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90 gallon tank journal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VdubReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 gallon tank journal
    Posted: November 02 2017 at 10:11am
Hey everyone sorry for no update , I’ve gotten way lazy to update my thread, but the tank is up and running and it’s turned out great I love it , I’ve had some trouble here and there with a Dino out break,, anything and everything will always be Quarantined and dipped. PERIOD , and now ive has this weird thing where my salt has been precipitating while it’s mixing and I don’t no why I’ve even switched salts for the third time, so I don’t know what I’m missing , anyways I find it to be such a PITA to upload all my pics to photobucket and then to here ,, I vote that WMAS join Tapatalk !! So much easier !! And if it costs money I think we have a big enough community that everyone would be willing to pitch in to modernize !
"He who is one with the sea"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 4:57pm
Thanks a lot guys for the feed back !! Sorry I haven't posted in awhile I've started cycling my tank so it's been kinda boring but will update once cycle is completed shouldn't be too much longer !! I used the Red Sea reef mature pro kit ! So far it's working pretty good !!
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 4:15am
This thing is awesome! I like how you kept the rock work off of the glass. I just set up a new biocube and redid my rocks so the glass scraper could get everywhere. Thanks for the idea!
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 6:09am
Wonderful picture, I am appreciate to get that type of post.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 11:23am
Pretty sump work!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 10:31am
So I finally got my aquascape done , and my sump plumbing finished

Notice how I left a space in between the glass and aquascape for cleaning

Here is my sump Plumbing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

You two using the same avatar totally messed with my head. I thought you were having a conversation with yourself for a minute.

Haha I thought the same thing at first, I'm like I don't remember posting that !! Lol
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 9:29am
You two using the same avatar totally messed with my head. I thought you were having a conversation with yourself for a minute.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Scottyb Scottyb wrote:

Ha, that's awesome! Sweet sump too

Thanks man ! Everything is coming together really really nicely I think
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 4:32pm
Ha, that's awesome! Sweet sump too

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 3:35pm
Sorry for the hiatus from posting,, our son had to have tubes in his ears ,, and I didn't want to deal with the payments so we paid cash for the procedure to get it over with so that's why I haven't posted in a while ,, however we have been working some overtime at work the past couple weeks and I went tax exempt this pay period so I can have all that money 🤑🤑🤑 and Wednesday is the day I'll be placing my order for the rest of the stuff I'll need to get my tank ready to cycle and then the next check I'll add the rest ,, but here's my sump,, huge shoutout to Tyler @Eliteaquatics

He builds an amazing sump !! I'm super impressed with the worksmanship of this sump !! I'd buy these over trigger systems sumps any day !! Costs about the same too =\
Check em out www.elite-aquatics.net

Also my wife made a trip down to Vegas this weekend because she is on the alumni board for her sorority so I decided to stop by ATM cuz I'm a fish nerd

While my wife was taking this picture I seen this porche drive up , and out pops wade !!! And he was cool enough to let me take a picture with him and then as my wife was taking the picture here comes the general with a photo bomb

It was pretty cool 😎

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 9:46am
Sorry I posted the wrong picture for "here's the sub panel all wired up" here's the correct picture

Edited by VdubReefer - April 06 2017 at 9:48am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 9:40am
Ground

Supply

Here's the new circuit wired up

And here's wiring for the GFCI outlet

Here's finished outlet in the wall

Here's how I started to patch the wall ,, at first I used this method were you trace out the piece of Sheetrock you cut out and cut out 1 inch bigger then peel off the gypsum from the front paper so it doubles as your joint tape

I did the same thing for the ceiling and used a knock down knife to blend in my ceiling texture !

Here's the first patch on the wall ,, because I've never don't this before I sanded down too far and actually had to cut another hole ,, and re patch it with joint tape ! I sanded that down too far and said screw it , it has paint on it currently but I'll fix it later cuz I'm getting kinda mad at it ,, lol here a pic of the first patch

So anyway it's coming along !!
I received my sump from elite aquatics and I've started plumbing it I'll get pictures soon thanks for following guys !!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 9:10am
So I started adding a dedicated 120 v 20 amp circuit for the reef tank , I've got our tv our PS4 and my 120 freshwater tank all down stairs I don't want to over load the circuit
Here is the materials I picked up from HD , what is not shown here is my cable snake but you will need one if you want to do this

Here the little area I'll be working in I got the location of the outlet marked with masking tape

I was fortunate enough that my floor joists were running the right direction so I found that running a piece of pvc through the space then my cable snake through it worked out pretty good

Here is where my wife almost killed me ;) jk so one in the ceiling to catch the snake one hole at the top of the wall to direct the snake down the wall and to the left

So here again I ran an extra piece of 1/2" pvc down and left diagonally down my wall over one stud to the hole for the outlet (this was the most pain in the *** step of the process

Once I got the wire pulled through ,, you can chose to leave the pvc or take it out ,, I took mine out once I had the snake ready to pull the wire I just pulled the pvc out backwards

Here I ran the wire back to my electrical sub panel luckily I had an extra tandem 20 amp circuit breaker already installed in my panel

Extra breaker

Then from here you connect your neutral ground and supply
Neutral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 2:45pm
Honestly the best tools I found is my 5 in 1 putty knife that have the rounded portion for cleaning a paint roller and a long click style razor blade the ones that have sections of the blad s that you can snap off ,, I just went around the best I could with the razor blade and then used my putty tool mind you I used one of the metal ones the one side have like a little edge that is bladed on the opposite side of the c cut out for scraping a paint roller ,, that thing helped me a lot I just went around the perimeter with it ,, I thought of doing a video of it im sorry !! I hope this helps if needs be I can do a Mach up video basically showing how I did it with the trim off (I haven't reattached the trim yet )

So an update ,, I finally got the back of the tank painted and moved down stairs where it will reside !!

I also went to go meet up with Tyler of elite aquatics to get my sump last night and there was a misunderstanding I ordered a refugium style sump and he went to give me a no. Refugium style sump and I politely said I don't think that's what I ordered I showed him my receipt ,, and he was super nice said sorry said he was gonna jump right on it to build me the one I ordered I felt really bad ,, but I really want one with a refugium !!! So anyways there's that I'll keep everyone updated on the sump anyone looking for AMAZING quality sump work check elite aquatics out I honestly would take one of Tyler's sumps over a trigger system sump any day !! So thanks for following guys !! It's been a long process with this tank but I'm sooo ready to get her wet !! Giggidee Giggidee !!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 6:40am
Can you describe what tools you used and any tricks you found that worked to get the plastic trim off of the top and bottom of the tank?

I'm curious to see if there are new ways to do it that make it easier or less likely to crack the plastic getting it off.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 10:03pm
This is a great thread.  Thanks for keeping us updated, it's fun to follow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 8:55am
Ok I messed up here's the links to the youtube videos
PART 1 https://youtu.be/I8gKltj4aV8
PART 2 https://youtu.be/tWr5TPsu0_w
PART 3 https://youtu.be/qAhx_p3SCSk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 8:47am
So just an update I had some gnarly scratches In the glass that i didn't see when I picked up the tank so I ordered a deep scratch removal kit from eBay ,, it arrived last week and I attempted to remove some of the scratches
Here you can kinda see some of the scratches it was like someone had sand in between the magnetic scraper and went to town on the glass

And working on it for about 3 days I finally got through the final step only to find out I stepped the glas and created a wave In the glass in several spots so I removed the front pane of glass

And I called 8 different places from here in Ogden to down to salt lake and I'll tell you every single one of them said they had to call me back with a quote and everyone was at least 3 days out !! Except for DIXON ARCHITECTURAL GLASS in salt lake ut they gave me a immediate quote over the phone and they pushed some things around to accommodate for my need of wanting it same day so I called them Friday morning and they had it ready by 2 Friday after noon 3/8" thick 48"x24" annealed piece of glass for about $110 ,, and I'll tell ya it turned out gorgeous !! The edges were factory edges (or looked like it was ) anyways I was super super happy and want to refer to anyone looking for a piece of glass to this place in salt lake ,,

Here's my jig I set up so I could silicone everything

So know the other thing I want to talk to everyone about is my method of attaching my front panel I used a combined method of direct injection /squash method of silicone and I think it retains the structural stability of the silicone I created 3 YouTube videos showing how I did this
Here's part 1
Here's part 2 https://youtu.be/tWr5TPsu0_w
Here's part 3 https://youtu.be/qAhx_p3SCSk

Thanks for stopping by guys this has been an extremely long process but it is really really coming along I've probably logged over 150 hrs of work on this project ,, it's definitely coming along and I'm completely beyond excited to get this thing wet !!

Edited by VdubReefer - March 28 2017 at 8:58am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 4:48pm
Hey everyone sorry about the late response ,, I've been waiting for my polyurethane to dry so I can rub it out ,,, hehehe gross, anyways and that takes weeks and a certain too I've ordered but haven't received so I moved on to cleaning and resealing the tank I've removed both top and bottom trim pieces for cleaning and to verify structuralism, so my big thing is I don't want a big gap between the tank and my wall I want to be able to push this thing right up to my wall so I need everything to come through the bottom of the tank ,, so I like the bean animal style overflow with all of its redundancy so I'm making a hybrid bean animal /my style overflow using 2 1 1/4" stand pipes inside the overflow tower and 1 1" emergency OF, and I'll have the 3/4" return like go through there as well it's gonna be packed but it's gonna work and I'm stoked !!

So here is the extra 3/4" hole I wanted to drill and I think the placement is a little close but it'll work because my bottom glass is 1/2" thick (thank goodness or I wouldn't have drilled the holes that close

So here's one of the pucks of glass after cutting one of the 1" OF holes
Here's the setup getting ready to drill the 3/4" hole

So all in all everything worked and turned out great !!
Here I'm building the second OF stand pipe as you can see it's 1 1/4"

So everything is coming right along ,,
Also big big news ,, I've ordered my sump through elite aquatics and he said it should be ready to be picked up this week which I'm super stoked about it ,, I've ordered my plumbing parts from BRS I didn't want to use regular old white pvc from Home Depot so I'm using red pvc with gray schedule 80 fittings from BRS ,, yes in the real world schedule 40 and schedule 80 would never ever work together but I guess BRS has made theirs work !! So that should be coming soon too !! I also ordered a deep scratch remover kit from eBay that should be arriving soon because I've got some scratches on the front glass that fortunately I can't catch my fingernail in which is great cuz it means it'll come out and I don't have to replace the front pane ,, so I'll keep all you guys updated don't you worry
Thanks for stopping by and following along guys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic