Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90 gallon tank journal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VdubReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 gallon tank journal
    Posted: February 24 2017 at 9:40am
Hey guys , this is my second go around with saltwater,, so I've actually already started a tank journal on reef central , because I couldn't remember my password and it takes so long for this forum to reset it for you ,, so I'm going to give you guys the quick update ,, and from here on out, I'll keep you guys posted ,, so anyways I picked up an awesome deal , what was once thought to be a 75 g tank is actually a 90 ,, I picked up tank stand canopy sump return pump and 2 gen 3 pro radions (only 1 year old ) for 1k , not bad I'm in the process of refinishing the wood because it needed to be touched up and I didn't like the color

And so I replaced the bottom of the stand
I stained everything didn't like how it turned out sanded it down again , stained everything and sprayed on polyurethane and didn't like how everything looked so I am now sanding things down again ,, and this is currently where I am at ,, in the process of sanding everything down again for the 3rd time and lesson learned, I will be using a wood conditioner or pre stain this time because I didn't know about that the first time lol ,, so anyways in the process of sanding down in those tight to reach corners I made a sanding block out of foam and super flex sanding paper to help me sand in those corners ,, here's what it looks like
Pretty cool huh ?!? So anyways this is my build journal follow along if you'd like ,, I'm just gonna be chuggin along ,, so I'll attach some other pictures of the stand abs my progress ,, thanks for following guys

Edited by VdubReefer - February 24 2017 at 10:02am
"He who is one with the sea"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 9:51am
Well I'd like to add more photos but this damn forum won't let me it uploaded 2 now it says I've already uploaded a photo with that name in red letters , but I haven't ,, man I wish this would be more user friendly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:05am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:09am
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:35am
Those links aren't working for me. I've also had some issues uploading to this site, so I feel your pain.
60g LPS Cube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2017 at 6:16pm
Ugh what a pain in the butt !! Oh well ,, so anyways I've got the stain down for the 3rd time and the first coat of poly ,, so we're on our way !! But I just got bummed out cuz I think this tank has some gnarly scratches on it and I'm gonna be bummed if they won't come out with cerium oxide !! I'll have to replace the front and potentially the side panes which would give me a chance to install cool looking low iron panes but it's a Pain,, and holds up the build even longer !! Oh well,, we'll take her as she comes !!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2017 at 6:37pm
The sanding block is cool.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:24am
Ok guys so I got a photobucket account so it should make it easier for me to upload my pictures now
So here's my stand stripped down ready for stain the third time

Here is a picture of the stand with the first coat of polyurethane on it, we're getting closer to being done

Also here is my radions all cleaned up from the previous owner I'm stoked to use these

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:33am
Here is my BRS 6 stage universal plus RODI unit !!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:49am
Nice!

I'm going to update the instructions on uploading files to the forum to include instructions on how to do it from an iPhone/iPad ( I'm guessing that's what you are using as most other options don't cause problems). I'll post the link here and then you'll already have the link when it gets updated.

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78772
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:56am
Following
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 12:28pm
Looking good!
60g LPS Cube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 8:31pm
oh ok cuz I get the same error cuz I'm using an iPhone ,, but the photobucket account I have has been working,, thanks for the heads up !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 8:43pm
So I got a 4th coat of polyurethane down tonight ,, I liking how this is turning out !! I think it's probably gonna be close to this,, I dunno if I'm gonna do a high gloss sheen I kinda like the semi gloss look

So know that I've got my photos working,, here's my quarantine tanks that I'm setting up in my mech room with one of my coral life dual t5 fixture ,,

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 8:48pm
Ya, the iPhone error is because the tries to use the same file name for every four it uploads to the forum. If you rename the file on your iPhone before you upload them it works. I'll be adding that to the tutorial with step by step instructions and some pretty pictures. :)
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 10:14am
I didn't know you could re name them on your phone !! If there's a way you could inform me when you post that, that would be awesome !! Thank you
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 10:17am
Yup, open photos. find the picture you want to rename and press and hold. Go to info and you can rename the file to something other than the normal numbers, letter and date format that photos get when taken on a mobile device. Once renamed you can upload it to the forum using the instructions in that link I posted.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 2:41pm
I can't get it to work on my iPhone 6s , I'm probably not doing it right I'll keep trying
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 3:09pm
I'll get more detailed instructions because I think it might have changed on the new IOS version I'm still looking at IOS 9. I'll steal my wifes iPad tonight and see if it's the same in 10.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 4:48pm
Hey everyone sorry about the late response ,, I've been waiting for my polyurethane to dry so I can rub it out ,,, hehehe gross, anyways and that takes weeks and a certain too I've ordered but haven't received so I moved on to cleaning and resealing the tank I've removed both top and bottom trim pieces for cleaning and to verify structuralism, so my big thing is I don't want a big gap between the tank and my wall I want to be able to push this thing right up to my wall so I need everything to come through the bottom of the tank ,, so I like the bean animal style overflow with all of its redundancy so I'm making a hybrid bean animal /my style overflow using 2 1 1/4" stand pipes inside the overflow tower and 1 1" emergency OF, and I'll have the 3/4" return like go through there as well it's gonna be packed but it's gonna work and I'm stoked !!

So here is the extra 3/4" hole I wanted to drill and I think the placement is a little close but it'll work because my bottom glass is 1/2" thick (thank goodness or I wouldn't have drilled the holes that close

So here's one of the pucks of glass after cutting one of the 1" OF holes
Here's the setup getting ready to drill the 3/4" hole

So all in all everything worked and turned out great !!
Here I'm building the second OF stand pipe as you can see it's 1 1/4"

So everything is coming right along ,,
Also big big news ,, I've ordered my sump through elite aquatics and he said it should be ready to be picked up this week which I'm super stoked about it ,, I've ordered my plumbing parts from BRS I didn't want to use regular old white pvc from Home Depot so I'm using red pvc with gray schedule 80 fittings from BRS ,, yes in the real world schedule 40 and schedule 80 would never ever work together but I guess BRS has made theirs work !! So that should be coming soon too !! I also ordered a deep scratch remover kit from eBay that should be arriving soon because I've got some scratches on the front glass that fortunately I can't catch my fingernail in which is great cuz it means it'll come out and I don't have to replace the front pane ,, so I'll keep all you guys updated don't you worry
Thanks for stopping by and following along guys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic