Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need a new system...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ucdcrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucdcrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a new system...
    Posted: February 25 2017 at 7:04pm
I've got a biocube, don't like the stock lighting on it and the fans that make it sound like there is a 747 in my house.  I also want the flexibility and better component choices that come with a sump. My plan was to eventually to replace the fans with something quieter, and take that tank to work.  

I can't have a big reef in my apartment, I'm limited to nano.  So I went out and bought a 25g rimless marineland cube.  I got a nano-sump from eshopps, and an internal overflow box.  I drilled it in the upper right corner and installed the overflow, and installed a return in the upper left.  Filled it up and the tank leaks.  Brand new, leaking from a seam on the bottom.

A) Its a really slow leak, and only leaks if the tank is over 3/4 full.  If it were a rimmed tank, I'd probably try to repair it, but that silicone is structural on a rimless tank right?

B) Does anyone have any experience with those little nano tanks with the sump that Fish-4-u is selling?  I went in there with the intention of buying an acrylic tank (I'm guessing they can't get them because I asked and she pretty much told me acrylic tanks are dumb).  I've had acrylic and know how to not scratch it, but am open to other suggestions.  

C) Does anyone have experience with any other reef-ready nano aquariums?  I want something that I can run GFO, a skimmer, and grow some chaeto with.  She told me that I caused the problem by drilling the tank (i disagree, since you can see where marineland missed the silicone) but I'm not sure I want to drill another.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 7:34pm
That sucks! Sorry to hear.
Many choices out there, get what you like and don't listen to the naysayers.
Acrylic works fine and is better to see through and easier to fix scratches in.
I like my 40 breeder drilled with a 29 gallon sump.
ucdcrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucdcrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 9:26pm
Just by chance I hopped on to the petsmart site - they've got the Clear 4 life acrylic tanks on sale for 25% off, and they had the size I wanted.  I took that as my answer right there, its on the way.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 10:30am
I think you will be happy. Just keep it clean with something soft and it will always be clear. The best thing about acrylic is when you have to move them. I couldn't have moved to Oregon and back without losing livestock if my biggest tank at the time, 60 gallon, was not acrylic.
ucdcrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucdcrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 3:53pm
Yeah, and I work for the government so moving seems to be my thing - I've moved 5 times since 2012, and to 3 different states.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 10:10am
This thread has probably run its course but I was thinking that clear silicone might be applied to the inside where the leak originates. Is the tank still around. I would be glad to take it and try to seal the leak.

Acrylic is awesome in some ways.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic