Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not Cool People!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Cool People!!
    Posted: February 27 2017 at 3:12am
So my Dad (a serious newbie) went to a store (I wont name which right now) and while there, found some cool "zoa like corals" that they had in a tank. Wellll without knowing, while looking for a new anemone for his tank, he bought a rock covered in majano anemones... or rather, he was sold a rock covered with majano anemones. Apparently the person at the store didn't know what they were and called the owner who DID know what they were and still sold them. Needless to say, he won't buy from that store again. Not cool, you don't knowingly sell someone aquarium pests unless you're as much a newbie as the person shopping... and in that case, maybe you should know more about what you're selling before opening a business.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 6:48am
That's not a positive experience to build your business on. I hope that few dollars was worth what they lost by you and your dad not shopping there again. Seams like a very small short sighted gain if your ask me.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 5:35pm

Ya, that stinks!

Truth be told, about 13 years ago give or take a year, some stores were selling majano anemones! I can't remember what they called them; the older folks in the club can help me here. It didn't take long before people started crying foul. I had one or two back then from some live rock I was given and thought it was kinda cool until I found out what it was.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 6:39pm
LOL Buyer beware. LOL

I walked into a LFS as a newbie and saw a golfball sized LR with eyes peering out of it. They said they would sell it to me for a buck. I was happy. A new animal for my tank for a buck. Some time later I found out that I had bought a green Mantis Shrimp. It lived in the tank for over a year. As is usual for Mantis Shrimp it clicked often and loud, just after lights out.

Our LFS here in Utah are very decent. They will probably take back the LR towards credit on something else.

We called them Tulip Anemones. The ones we started seeing were as beautiful as the pic above. Dion Richins will never let me forget about 15 years ago I sold him this nice piece of LR with 10 or so Tulip Anemones. Later we found out how much trouble they are. 

Scientifically I believe they are classified as colonial anemones, because of how they clone themselves and may eventually cover a rock. Fortunately, they don't always clone real fast and can be dug out or chipped off of any LR that we would rather keep.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 2:55am
Yea, not sure their thought process on it. Rock is in the garbage. I'm glad he text me about it before they had a chance to spread around. I just barely got rid of them in my tank after they hitch hiked on. Such a menace!

Thanks for posting the pic Mark, should help out anyone else that wasn't familiar. The often look like that but can be darker and also fluoresce in the blue like a zoa. If they weren't so ugly and popped up everywhere killing other corals, they probably wouldn't be too bad of an addition.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 7:37pm
IMO, you should name the store after they have a chance to fix the issue. If they fix it, it shows good customer service. If they don't, we know to avoid.
Nicole Prettyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Prettyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 8:36am
WOW that is just horrible!  lol i would be so incredibly embarrassed as a store owner if i had manjano in my tanks.   I mean i know stuff happens and 1 or 2 may sneak by the eye when dealing with live rock but to get sold a rock covered in them in plain site to the eye?  not acceptable.   Sorry your dad had that experience at whatever store it was at.  He should really call that store and see if the owner will credit him back.  Your dads new and new hobbyists need to be protected and not taken advantage of just for a few bucks.    
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 8:31pm
Yes mark. 15 years or so later Im still fighting with the little buggers ;)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 3:45pm
I was able to get rid of them using a filefish! It also has eaten more zoos than my rabbitfish did. But zoos are easy to replace.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic