Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking the experienced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asking the experienced
    Posted: March 08 2017 at 8:30pm
I am asking the experienced. If you think you fall under that criteria, please give your advice.

What are the top ten steps, pieces of advice, list, checklist of having a successful reef tank. Meaning growth, colorful and stability. Number 1 to 10

So, lets hear them! Ready? Set! Go!
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 8:37pm
Patience!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 8:39pm
That's one! What's the other 9? :)

Edited by evan127 - March 08 2017 at 8:39pm
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by evan127 evan127 wrote:

Still figuring them out....

Having the right equipment - but that doesn't mean you have to have everything.  Buy the right items the first time to help avoid issues.

Probably planning of tank (if you haven't built it yet), making sure the plumbing will meet your needs and the lighting is the right requirements. 

If you aren't sure you will dose do more water changes, it ultimately costs more but it is one of the easier things to do and you get a lot of the other elements you may have missed.

Watch the impulse buys, don't talk yourself into something that doesn't belong in your tank (it happens to all of us). 

Be extra picky about the live stock you do get, make sure it looks good.  Know the chain of custody. 

Dip your corals - always!

Quarantine your fish (I don't really do this and it has burned me but that is a tip).

Do your research on any new fangled thing or advice someone gives you.  Tons of opinions in this hobby.

180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

Originally posted by evan127 evan127 wrote:

Still figuring them out....
Who isn't ;)

Having the right equipment - but that doesn't mean you have to have everything.  Buy the right items the first time to help avoid issues.
Absouletly. Having the basics is very beneficial in the long run. I think lighting and flow are the most important to get right the initial setup.

Probably planning of tank (if you haven't built it yet), making sure the plumbing will meet your needs and the lighting is the right requirements. 
Planning is huge. I told a friend that was getting into the hobby for the first time to invest in light, flow, and items that will instill good husbandry practices before the tank is even wet.

If you aren't sure you will dose do more water changes, it ultimately costs more but it is one of the easier things to do and you get a lot of the other elements you may have missed.
I think this is good advice until someone catches the bug. Water changes can only keep up so long. Depending on where that "bug" takes you, softies, LPS, SPS, mixed, water changed instill the good husbandry but only suffice as supplementation for so long.

Watch the impulse buys, don't talk yourself into something that doesn't belong in your tank (it happens to all of us). 
Absoluetly! I've purchased things far beyond my abilities and capabilities at the time. I regret the ignorance and torture, but it does happen to every hobbiest I think

Be extra picky about the live stock you do get, make sure it looks good.  Know the chain of custody. 

Dip your corals - always!
Always, always, always!

Quarantine your fish (I don't really do this and it has burned me but that is a tip).
I don't either, but because I don't have a QT tank is why I am no longer adding any fish. Period.

Do your research on any new fangled thing or advice someone gives you.  Tons of opinions in this hobby.
Knowledge is power, choose what's best for you and your tank.

Thanks for your input! Greatly appreciated!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 9:31pm
Boy that's a great question.
1- go slow
2- plan what you're going to have ahead of time
3- see many tanks first, pick one you want to replicate
4- very few fish, big soft corals
5- things happen, get used to it
6- have redundant filtration plans
7- keep it calm and simple
8- check everything often
9- algae is great
10- play it safe

That's my quick list off the top of my head.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 10:02pm
I don't have ten, but I'll add a few to all the good things everyone has already stated:

1) A stable system is much better in the long run than chasing 'desired' numbers

2) When someone gives you advice, ask to see photos of their tank... helps to weed out those who know what they are talking about vs. those who just read it somewhere (but can't or don't really do it).

3) Go see Brad Syphus (tileman) or Jeff Martin's tanks. Seriously. Why? Both have had truly amazing tanks... and they have had them for a long, long time. Because almost anybody can have an 'amazing' tank - heck, I've had a few LOL - but they have shown they can do it consistently for years... THAT is what sets them apart.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 12:55pm
I'll add my $0.02 using Adam's list as a baseline.
1- go slow
Agreed.  Research, research, research.
2- plan what you're going to have ahead of time
Great advice, but difficult.  But in general you should know the "theme" of the tank.  SPS dominant, mixed reef, fish only, anemones or not, etc.
3- see many tanks first, pick one you want to replicate
Could be number 1.  Visit others and find out what they're doing / not doing.
4- very few fish, big soft corals
Nope.  Lots of fish, lots of coral varieties.   Figure out how to export nutrients and then do it consisentently - as if lives depended on it --- because they do.
5- things happen, get used to it
Agreed.  Things die, things move, things break, things leak.  It's all part of the deal.
6- have redundant filtration plans
More is better.  If you have to choose a filtration method - choose them all.  Carbon, skimming, mechanical, biological, manual, automatic, etc.   Choose them all.
7- keep it calm and simple
Yes and no.   This depends on what you're going for.  For some, the calmness of a deep reef tank is what excites them (think slowly swaying leathers with lazy fish).  For others, the reef crest is where it's at (think chaotic water movement and fish darting about fighting the currents).
8- check everything often
I couldn't agree more.  If you can't tell there is something wrong with your system simply by listening from another room, then you don't know your system well enough.  You should know the patterns of fish and coral, the correct smell of your skimmate, the sound your dosing pump makes when it's on....  Know your stuff.
9- algae is great
Yep.  And you're going to have it.  So choose wisely.
10- play it safe
Agreed.  Never make any changes right before a vacation, reef tour or other significant event.  It will go wrong.   Think redundancy.   Use separate outlets for different pumps (separate circuits even better), use a water sensor/alarm for leak detection, when in doubt: wait - this applies to new animals, new equipment and new routines.

And what Bob said - go see Brad.  Do what he does and as often as he does!

Good luck.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 4:42pm
1. Patience is a virtue. In the reef tank, good things happen slowly. Bad things happen in a matter of hours.
2. Plan for sufficient funds. The bigger the tank, the more it costs.
3. Plan a theme and stick to it. Don't try to have a tank with too many themes.
4. Have redundant systems, as much as possible. Things fail.
5. Stability is key to success.
6. Don't over-frag your tank. In other words, don't have 100 frags and no room to grow. I love big corals. Keep it simple.
7. Don't put so many fish in that you have a roller-derby all day long. Keep it simple.
8. Your tank may crash at some point. Be emotionally prepared and deal with it when it comes.
9. Get the right equipment the first time. Go back to #2 if in doubt. Research it and ask around. Remember that LFS will sell what they have, but have good insight on what works and what doesn't.
10. Misc: Check it often. Count fish. Test stuff. Make small changes. Go back to #1. Perform frequent water changes. Try to take out algae from a RDP refugium as a nutrient export.

Edited by Corey Price - March 09 2017 at 4:46pm
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 10:10am
Great responses so far! Much more feedback than I thought this thread would get.

I'd like to narrow down on two specific parts of the original question. Growth and color
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 12:10pm
Wow, thanks Shane. You really expanded on all that.

Adam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 12:12pm
Growth and color- remove all nutrients. Shoot for 0 phosphate and nitrate. Rotifers good, spot feeding good. Filtration the most important.

Adam
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Growth and color- remove all nutrients. Shoot for 0 phosphate and nitrate. Rotifers good, spot feeding good. Filtration the most important.

Adam

I you should remove all nutrients, implying you are adding the equal amount of nutrients you are removing. What goes in must come out.

Edited by evan127 - March 10 2017 at 4:36pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 7:15pm
MH gave me the best growth and color, but I also had a very large tank with a large fuge and I added tons of food and phytoplankton and stuff. So I'm not sure how much difference the MH made.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 7:20pm
Adam really, remove all nutrients or remove all impurities(not doubting, just want to know how you came to that conclusion). If my phosphate hits 0, I know tests lie, I have no color or growth

I believe there are 2 types of tanks:
1)nutrients in and pull them out-let's say this is Brad Syphus way. Tons of fish tons of food, but in that same note tons of filtration and water changes. His color and growth could be put globally against anyone.

2) control nutrients going in, but still pulling some out. Let's say people like Nick Tenney does it this way. Less fish, less to no water changes. Feeds less. Still has great color and growth. And slim to no water changes once your biological system sets up.

Both of these way work. You have to pick one and do it.don't try and change half way through (I did, takes twice as long).

I would say also make sure numbers are stable, auto dosing never worked for me. Switched to a reactor, love every day.

Skimmer- Do not, I repeat DO NOT get an over sized skimmer (at least the neck diameter). Get one that works constantly not sporadically. Every skimmer manufacturer should switch to inches of fish, and feeding habits. If I have a 300 with 4 fish, I have almost the same DOC as a 150 with 4 fish.

Also I love my sulfur biodinitrator, would never run another tank without one.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 8:52pm
I understand the nutrient question, I think badfinger summed it up well. I was basically saying you can't get the water too clean.
Try to take out more than you put in.

Adam
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 10:47pm
I've most always had near zero nitrates and phosphate using algae filters. Some tanks I have been able to feed more, and those tend to have better growth and color. So I feed as much as I can without overloading the filter.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 11:12pm
The goal is really to keep clean water, not fish or corals. So #1 for me would be RODI water with a TDS of 0 ppm.  Water changes, ATO, etc. will do nothing for you if the source water isn't near perfect.

Growth and Color (the following information is based on my opinion)

1. PAR - 350-400 Top of Tank, Sandbed >150 Par
2. Fish Poo is your friend
3. Flow, polyps should be moving in random directions
4. There are no magic potions/supplements
5. Test Alk Daily
6. If using LEDS, make sure you have enough units for complete coverage (very common issue people have is not using enough units) or supplement with T5s
7. Know how to spot AEFW and Red bugs - I see these all the time at LFS and sellers on the forum
8. Develop an experienced eye so that your better than a test kit: know how to spot tip burn, base recession, fading, browning, etc.
9. Take pics with your phone and monitor growth and changes weekly - so your not throwing changes at your tank because you seem to think you have no growth, but in reality if you look back in time, things may actually be growing quite well
10. Spend 5 minutes a day looking at tank closely for signs of trouble, ensure you have good polyp extension after lights out

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 11:28pm
One more - never give up on a coral!  You never know what they will transform into.

Edited by bur01014 - March 10 2017 at 11:40pm
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:26am
Great advice so far everyone!

Bur, great comparison pictures. Can you elaborate more on each photo?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic