Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algae issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: algae issue
    Posted: March 10 2017 at 11:18pm
I have an algae issue I have been fighting.. the more I clean the more there is..
Vipers look cool at a distant, but be careful of the bite..its a killer!

Still to many cool stuff not enough money
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 11:23pm

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 2:56am
Can you give us an idea of what you're doing for cleaning and your husandry? That way we can help pinpoint any issues. Also, what's your feeding schedule and amount, lighting, water type, etc.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 8:11am
On top of that what are your tested water parameters? Do you have a closer picture of the algae? I have my suspicions but need more information before I can be more sure.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:15am
ok...I'm using radion leds...I've decreased the white light intensity...my pareters...salt is at 1.026..alk and calc are high..been doing 5 gal water chg each week....I have several snails and 2 turbos...

MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:18am
ok...I'm using radion leds...I've decreased the white light intensity...my pareters...salt is at 1.026..alk and calc are high..been doing 5 gal water chg each week....I have several snails and 2 turbos...I feed abt every 3 days..only have 2 fish so I feed a pinch....I do have phosgard and carbon in a bag as well as chemipure...

MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:34am
the algae is brown...long stringy..clings to everything

MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:40am

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 1:45pm
Does it grow when the lights are on? Does it disappear (at least some of it) at night? If so, I'm currently battling the same stuff. It's a weird algae that actually is growing fastest in my higher flow areas. I've nearly wiped all of it out by increasing to 2x a week wc, decreasing photoperiod from 12 to 8 hours, increasing ramp up/down on lighting from 1 to 3 hrs, and turning spectrum on lights from 14k to 20k.
60g LPS Cube
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 1:53pm
yes too all...so it seems

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 2:52pm
To me it looks like you might have Dinoflagellates. I'm not the best with algae but that's what it looks like and the way you describe it leads me to that too. Look up Dinoflagellates algae reef tank and look at the images they look a lot like yours

Edited by bstuver - March 11 2017 at 2:54pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 4:10pm
I thought mine was dinos at 1st too, but from what I read dinos don't get eaten by snails/hermits and each morning 75% or more of the stringy crap was gone. So I think my cleanup was eating it. Especially given the fact that all my crew is comatose in the day and highly active at night since this brown stuff showed up in my tank
60g LPS Cube
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 8:18pm
I'll try blackening...more hermits....I also read lots of pods...I need a ton of those

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic