Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

150 gallon take 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 150 gallon take 2
    Posted: March 13 2017 at 9:51pm
So about 3 years ago I set up a 150 gallon tank. I had it up for about a year and was just starting to really grow...then I met a girl, lol, and decided to move in with her. So to the storage shed it went and sat for the next year and a half. So fast forward to now, I proposed to her and we decided to build a house. We finally finished the build end of December and now I get to set my baby back up! I will be starting a thread here but have a few questions for everyone to help me with. First thing is I have a fish room, ok it's a very small room, under the stairs, but a fish room none the less :). It's about 4 feet wide and a little over 10 feet long. I am wanting to put my sump and most of the equipment in there for easy access. I'm just wondering if it will be worth it or will it just be easier putting it under the stand? I will post pics. I also have the mechanical room just on the other side of the stairs that will hold my water mixing barrels and rodi filter.
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 9:54pm
A couple different views.
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 10:40am
Has anyone done a smaller room like this? Just wondering if it is better to keep everything under the stand, or if it will be better having more room to work on it outside of the stand, even though the room is smaller in size.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 11:29am
Hey! I haven't set up a tank like this but I don't run some with volumes slightly higher. I think based on size- I'd keep it all under the stand. Or what would be bad ass would be to keep all the main stuff under the stand but stub some plumbing into the room and have a frag tank in there. That way you can grow smaller frags away from the main display and once big you can move them out. That's my cents. :)
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 12:54pm
I would say that you need to think about what you want to do with the tank.  I have a similar sitution as you, a small room behind my tank where I keep lot of supplies, ATO container, ect.  

I have my 40" sump below the tank, in the stand right now.  I also have a dual reactor (GFO/carbon), large calcium reactor with Co2 tank, large UV, dosing pump with 4 dosing containers, huge skimmer and lots of little supplies I use all the time.  I am planning on moving my sump along with most of the hardware above into the small room.

The small room, in my opinion, is the way to go, if you'll have lots of hardware.

Edit: most of us will open our doors to you if you ever want to see some examples.

Edited by kevin.st - March 14 2017 at 12:58pm
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 12:54pm
Yeah I'd also thought about that, maybe a frag tank and even a qt set up?? I have to put something fish related in there!
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 12:59pm
Yeah, man.  You can always change it up, too.  But changes are much more difficult further down the line.

Getting it setup correct the first time is much easier.
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 1:00pm
I have a skimz skimmer, brs carbon /gfo reactor along with dosing pumps that will also go in there. I built my stand slightly higher so it wouldn't be too tight under there, but figured out would even be nicer to have it in its own room. I'll be buying all my plumbing in the next couple days and about120 pounds of dry rock from reefcleaners will be here on Wednesday so I can start figuring out my aquascape :)
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 1:05pm
Hell ya.  Be sure to post more pictures for us!
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 2:11pm
Thanks kevin, I may take you up on that :)
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 1:14pm
I have a 150 right now. My fish room is behind the tank but it is in the wall so my only access is from behind the tank. I keep all of my stuff under the stand because i want to have room to access the tank. In your case you could put the sump in the room under the stairs. I would not try and stuff everything right to the short end of the room though. Tight spaces = limited access = poor maintenance.
Also you should think about ventilation under the stairs if you do have any water in there. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by knowen87 - March 23 2017 at 1:20pm
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 4:54pm
Nice looking tank! I've been doing some plumbing slowly but surely. I did ebbs up putting the sump under the stairs, and did put it closer to the lower end of the stairs, but I think there should be enough room to access everything. Not as good as having a full size room but it will do :). Here are a few progress pics of things..
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 5:05pm
It looks good. having the sump in the room will be so nice. It looks like you have enough room to access the whole sump and work on the skimmer.
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 5:37pm
Thanks, and yes I will probably install some sort of fan/ventilation under there as well
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 6:13pm
Very nice!  I am getting some ideas from your photos.

Now is a good time to think about putting a manifold on your return line, not sure if that's what that tube sticking out is for...

Edited by kevin.st - March 23 2017 at 6:14pm
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 8:57pm
Yes, thats a temporary piece there until I get my other plumbing valves, etc.. I will have my gfo and carbon reactors ran off it to start
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 4:17pm
Update on my build, so I just added cuc from reef cleaners and a couple green chromis to the tank. I've been working on getting my alk, cal, and mg up to acceptable numbers. I'm just about there with the exception of my alk, but it's getting there. I had a problem with my skimmer last week, i woke up to find my skimmer not working, so I pulled it out of the sump and the power cord snapped off!!?? Apparently, it was old from sitting in storage for 2 years? So I picked to skimmer up and the cord was just sitting in the water...plugged in. Gfci did not trip?? Lucky I wasnt shocked I guess. Any way, I've ordered a New pump from BRS, Should be here tomorrow.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 1:35pm
Sweet!Looks nice. I like the storage rack. I still need to get something worked out for all of my stuff. One thing that you might want to try is to glue some rubble into the rock transitions. This would help the rocks appear to be more uniform and less like individual rocks stacked on top of each other. BRS made a videos that shows this http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kiJ5bcHvr8. If you watch him build the structure he fills in the gaps and it looks better. 

Edited by knowen87 - April 19 2017 at 1:35pm
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 5:53pm
Yeah thanks, I'm still playing with the scape, trying to get it how I like it :)
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 9:30am
Hey Scotty, just saw this thread for the first time. It's a similar build to my own. I have an even smaller room than you do though, more of a "fish closet" lol. Not big enough for the sump, but I do keep all the equipment, ATO reservoir,and all my supplies in there. How is your build coming along!

Edited by speyside712 - October 29 2017 at 2:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic