Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Melafix.... big no no with skimmer..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LostCauseZ06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Melafix.... big no no with skimmer..
    Posted: September 19 2005 at 2:58pm

ok so i have a sick blue tang :( poor guy runs into rocks all day long and cuts himself up like none other... so i had some melafix laying around that i used to try and hlep the guy out....

well HOLY crap... what a joke.... melafix is crap :( i know it says on the bottle to unplug skimmer when you use it but i would have never though it would be this bad..    i have the worst micro bubble problem known to man.... the tank is like a freaking bubble bath.  my skimmer over flows with water thats contaminated by the melafix.... it is just a total mess...

ended up doing a 50% water change and empying the skimmer ever hour... im just glad as can be that i did not do a full dosage of it... i barely had any left and figured id use it up...

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 9:38pm

Yea, Melafix and a skimmer are a big no, no.  I noticed that when I used it one time.  It seems like if I left the skimmer off for a few days the melafix dissapated or something because the skimmer started to work like normal after that time.  The melaluca oil in causes the bubbles in the skimmer to "hold" better.  Thus they never pop.  It's kinda like putting a bunch of liquid dish soap in your tank.  It's great for blowing bubbles.

Melafix seems to me kind of an herbal remedy anyway.  It has helped me when I add new fish that seem to be having a hard time of it, but if the fish is really sick I don't think it's any better than chicken soup.  It may feel good going down, but it's not real medicine.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 12:02am

You may soon realize that just about anything you want to try with your tank, has been tried by someone here. It really, really helps to patiently run things by this MB first. Using this resource can save you a lot of trouble and a lot of money.

Now, if you are ready, tell us more about the situation with your Blue Tang.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 9:14am
When my blue tang is rubbing on rocks, it's because he's getting ich.  I would suggest adding garlic to their food. 
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 11:23am

i have been adding garlic to the food every day, kents garlic extreme, i have been adding quite a bit (i know it says not to) but they love it and have not had any adverse side effects... he seems to be getting better but he is still all cut up, all over his face and sides.. .

he also has little blackish spots on him.. .little tiny ones that look like rocks stuck in him or something.... but like i said.. he seems to be doing better...

i think alot of it had to do with the temperature of my tank... i had it at 85 degrees before.... i realized that is kinda hot so i lowered it to 79 and everything seems to be doing ALOT better...

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 1:43pm
Sounds like black spot or Paravortex.

How long have you had the tang? Does it look like he is intentionally rubbing up against the rocks?

If it is a Parasite then I would recomend aquiring some cleaner shrimp. I have 4 tangs and had a very bad ich outbreak initially. I purchased a cleaner for every tang and I have had no problems since. I have also attempted garlic (never had success) and freshwater dips (seemed to stress the fish out too much to be effective). The cleaner shrimp are now my only solution for parisitic infestation. If the outbreak is really bad then you may need to move the tang to a hospital tank and treat with chemicals but I would only suggest this as a last resort and only in a seperate tank.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 1:52pm
hrmmm i had a cleaner shrimp... my Da** hawkfish ate it...
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 1:59pm

If you go to the hospital tank, and only in a separate tank (Separate meaning that it does not share any water with the main system.) I would suggested doing a copper treatment.  The fish will tolerate the copper.

A lot of pros recommend quarantine tanks for all new fish. that you add to your tank.  The advantage you gain is that you can treat for all of the bad stuff out side of your normal system, and then only add the fish to you main system when you determine e that it is healthy and ready for it.

Using a quarantine system takes time and planning, it really eliminates the need to buy today (which many argue is bad)  You should really take t the time to research the needs of each and every occupant to your tank.  And then only add things that suite the tank and the other occupants.

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 2:40pm

yeah.. not all of us have the resources for two tanks though

well i guess i kinda do.... but i really dont want two tanks hehe

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic