Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Majanao or Button polyp or ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majanao or Button polyp or ??
    Posted: April 08 2017 at 5:25pm
Unknown ??Hi,
I had one of these green polyps show up. (Not the Blundel Button)
I thought it was a button polyp
One week later I now have a dozen scattered, all over the same big rock.
They are not in a community but spread inches apart.

Majanao?
Something else?
Good?
Bad?

Help please, and thanks,
Kevin
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 8:50pm
In my opinion, these are button palys. Yes, they spread quickly. Get them out.
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 9:26am
Will joes juice kill these?
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 7:47pm
May kill them. If you can scrape or cut them off whatever they're on (take some rock with it) that might be a good way as well.
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 7:54pm
Super glue on them.....
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 3:42pm
These can be prolific.  But they look cool.  Are you sure you want to kill them off?
Kevin Miller View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 5:22pm
How do you control them?
Right now they are on a single large rock.
I don't want them taking over the whole tank however.

What to do, What to do...
electricreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 3:37pm

if you like them and want to keep them, or they are too difficult to remove and removing the rock is not an option, just put some frogspawn next to where you don't want it to go/spread. This may sound silly but has worked great for me. The frogspawn will keep it at bay for sure. in one of my old tanks I had some of those wood polyps that were spreading like crazy until I put the frogspawn in its way. it held them there for almost 2 years. I also had something else in one of my tanks (kinda like yellow palys/ mini anemones). They were actually quite pretty when they first showed up, but very quickly they started multiplying across the rock that they were on and its apparent that they weren't slowing down. Enter the frogspawn once again and they were dead in their tracks for a long time. The best is just to remove the whole rock, but like in my case the rock they were on was a major support rock with about 100 lbs LR stacked on top of it, in an established tank.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic