Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is on the face of my clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is on the face of my clownfish
    Posted: April 11 2017 at 8:50pm
Bought a couple tiny baby clownfish (very small) a couple weeks ago. I have noticed this white mark on one of their face which was not there when I bought it. The other baby clown looks like it may be starting to get it also. Any help letting me know what it looks like would be greatly appreciated. They eat and act healthy. No ammonia, nitrite, and alkalinity is good also. Clowns are hosting richordeas and euphylias,but doubt they are stings from coral. Looks like bacteria or fungal. Had issues in the past and made the tank "semi-fallow" except for my mandarin and pipe fish. Had funky crap happening before and now thinking it wasn't truly fixed due to not being truly fallow. Please help.
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 8:53pm
Here is a picture
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 8:37am
Looks like Brooklynella to me. Can you catch it to do a fresh water dip? Is it still eating well?

I would do a freshwater dip. probably PraziPro as well (as long as it handles the fresh water dip well and isn't over stressed), run some UV on the tank to help with any cysts that may be free floating in the water column already and keep it eating.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 10:04am
Thanks jeff, he is eating well still, and has had this now for probably close to a week which is strange if it is brook as that normally is a fast killer. Does anyone have experience with leaving fish in a tank with brooklynella? I was under the impression that it will always remain in the water column unless fallow for 60 days or so. Which is why I should have pulled the mandarin and pipe fish when I went "semi" fallow. Kicking myself. What do do fish stores do when they have an outbreak and don't medicate?

I'll definitely use my uv sterilizer as well.
Thanks everyone
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 9:35pm
I cant tell what it is. Fungus is uncommon, so I would say bacteria infection. Most bacteria that cause disease in marine fish are gram-negative. Since many antibiotics kill gram-negative bacteria and the biological nitrifying bacteria of an aquarium are also gram-negative, it is recommend that you do not treat the main aquarium. Maracyn 2 is mincycline hydrochlor based and is a gram-negative bacteria treatment. Maracyn is erythromycin based and is a gram-positive bacteria treatment. My personal preference (when guesing) is broad spectrum antibiotics, ones that kill both gram-negative and positive bacteria, such as nitrofurazone based Furan-2
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 10:57pm
After observing I'm leaning more towards a bacterial infection as well. I reached out to Chuck from Chuck's addiction and emailed him and he said that he thinks that it is possibly from the clownfish hosting coral and getting stung thereby causing the bacterial infection. It actually looks like it's starting to heal. I believe it was from the ricordea mushrooms in the background of the picture. They are now hosting Octospawn and a torch I addexpect which still is not ideal but they are looking better also they are acting even more active. Thanks Jeff and sabey
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 10:58pm
Forgot to mention Jeff I picked up parts tonight so that I can hook up my UV sterilizer thanks for the recommendation buddy. Not giving up on the hobby yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic