Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sump life ID please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sump life ID please!
    Posted: April 26 2017 at 9:39pm
So i decided to checkout my sump since things seem to be sprouting up lately. I came across a few things I'd like some help id'ing please. Im hoping this isn't nuisance algae, I'm suspecting maybe Bryopsis after doing some reading. Also the little orange feather duster thing not sure if it's fine to keep?
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 10:37pm
The second pic seems the clearest, and that seems to be normal hair algae. I let everything and anything grow in my sump/refuge
60g LPS Cube
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 6:50am
Hair algae and feather dusters. Both great for helping filter water and remove waste. While Hair algae isn't great int he display, having some in your sump that is controllable isn't a bad thing. Do you have other macro algae in your sump to help out compete the hair algae for light and nutrients?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 5:28pm
I've got a little bit of chaeto that I can't seem to get to grow. I really don't want to hair algae making it's way into my tank. Should I just monitor and keep it under control or will t eventually make its way into the display unless I get rid of it? Also not sure if anyone can tell what the other algae is in the photos. It looks like feathers or a fern kind of. Just want to make sure that isn't bryopsis
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 6:09pm
I can't say for a fact that one of those pictures isn't bryopsis but they aren't clear enough for me to be able to tell.

Hair algae will grow anywhere in the system if given the nutrients it needs and light. That's why I say having it growing in the sump isn't a bad thing as it is using up the nutrients which will help prevent it from growing in the display. Hair algae is in the system whether it is growing or not so it's not one of those things you have to worry about spreading. You just have to worry about giving it the conditions it needs to grow. Chaeto starts slow but once it starts to grow it will out compete the hair algae for the food and if the chaeto is in the same area of the sump that the hair algae is growing it will shade the hair algae from the light and cause it to die off from lack of light.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 7:44pm
I'm hoping my chaeto will take off. I started with about a baseball sized clump and it grew 3x the size but for some reason it started turning clear and fell apart now I have barely any. Not sure what I could be doing wrong it should be easy enough to grow....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic