Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frag pests help and tips please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frag pests help and tips please
    Posted: April 30 2017 at 9:20pm
Ok so recently i've noticed my normally open and happy zoa frags have been closing more often. I started wondering about pests even though i dip everything before i put it in my tank. I've been using Revive as my dip and maybe that isn't effective enough. I think one mistake ive made is allowing frag plugs from other tanks to enter my tank. In the future Ill remove the frag and put it on a brand new plug. Moving on though... A couple things ive seen but im not seasoned enough to know for sure if they're pests so any input is appreciated. When i pulled the plugs out and removed them and dipped I found a decent amount of these tiny thin reddish worms.. Any idea on these im just assuming they're not good. Another thing ive noticed on quite a few plugs and these little white kind of spiral shaped hard bits. I dont know if these are nudibranch eggs? The pics online show them as little spirals with dots but maybe this is just under extreme magnification. Another thought is they might be vermitted snails. Would these be something to actually worry about if thats the case? Aside from identifying these two pests ive mentioned do you think removing the old plugs and attaching them to new plugs is enough? meaning are these pests elsewhere in my tank? Im running bare bottom tank and using acrylic frag racks. I guess they could also be in my sump but thats a bit more difficult to determine. Im just hoping what ive done is going to be enough. Im ok with dipping in the future if i need to get rid of any stragglers but im open to suggestions for what i can do now. 

Thanks!

Edited by Zack801 - April 30 2017 at 9:22pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 7:13am
I'm totally just guessing at this point and going only by your description (pictures would be very helpful here) but here are my thoughts.

The small reddish worms sound like baby bristle worms to me, they could be fireworms and a few other types as well but those other types are not very common in the hobby. The majority of these worms are not not an issue in our tanks (actually beneficial mostly) as long as numbers are kept in check and they don't get too large.

The spiral shaped hard bits could be either vermitid snails or the much more common feather dusters that are found in our tanks. Nudibrach eggs are not hard, so I doubt it is that. Feather dusters are normal in our tanks and usually a sign of a healthy and growing system. Vermitids get mixed love. I personally don't mind them in my system as I am able to keep them in check fairly easy. Others get them and can not control them and watch them irritate and kill their corals. This is another one of those they aren't really bad in controlled numbers type things. There is an easy solution to vermitids and that is to just super glue the end of the tube.

I would suggest multiple dips in multiple solutions (iodine, bayer, revive, etc.) if you are truly trying to prevent pests from entering your system. One type of dip will not get rid of all pests. I also no longer put other peoples frag plugs in my tank.  Everything is removed from frag plugs and either glued directly to the rock work or placed on a new frag plug but only after it has been QT and dipped many times.

I hope that helps. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 11:49am
Sorry about the picture quality. You can see one of them pretty well in the green algae bits. Thank you for your earlier reply. As far as dipping should i keep it up and do it once a week so i don't stress them out? I just want to make sure things don't get out of control but i don't want to lose a bunch of healthy ones while trying to remove bugs. I've got a 6 line that i had hoped would get rid of some of these things but im not sure if that's happening. One thing I've noticed lately is a ton of what i think are pineapple sponges. I had a lot in my sump but they're all over the frag racks and on some plugs. I don't think i need to worry about those though do it?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 12:07pm
Those could also be bits of a spaghetti worm (again nothing to worry about)

As far as dipping now I would remove any frag plugs that are still left and dip all of those corals in at least two different dips. If you have any corals that are looking stressed after that dips you can dip them in coral RX. I wouldn't worry too much about the others. If there is a pest it's already in the tank and it is easier to treat affected corals than to just shotgun the entire tank.

Pineapple sponges are awesome and they generally show up during the first few months of a tank really starting to become healthy and then they disappear again. They aren't a problem and should soon be gone on their own.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - May 01 2017 at 12:08pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 12:10pm
Ok great news :) I've just used revive as a dip so far. Actually used Hydrogen Peroxide on a few last time as well. Maybe ill give them another week and try the Bayer dip. I've read lots of good reviews on that I was just a bit hesitant to use it if i didn't have to. Im glad to hear about the sponges I was just surprised to see them kind of explode overnight in the display it seems. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 7:49pm
When using bayer, be extremely careful. Not only can it kill your inverts in extremely small amounts (even after rinsing corals), but can be harmful to fish so it's not even recommended to discard unused portions of it in a drain or to contaminate ground water. There are several forms of bayer also, but most of the msds I've seen for it have these warnings with it.

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I'd use revive which is good at getting a lot of hitchhikers off like worms, AEFW, flat worms, brittle stars, star fish and red bugs (doesn't necessarily kill them but causes them to come off the coral and you can shake them off so never double treat with the same water); or coral rx that seems to get some of these and some other forms of hitchhikers.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 10:22pm
I exclusively use Bayer and it does a phenomenal job. I do complete 2 separate rinses after the dip to ensure all critters get blow off and no Bayer makes it to my tanks. I have never lost a fish or invert at anytime after using Bayer.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 9:19pm
ok this is about as good as I can get with my phone. Turned on my lights and saw a couple of these on a few frags. There were also quite a few similar looking ones on my glass. What do you guys things? I'm hoping just pods or something but i still think they're irritating my zoas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic