Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this that killed my fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this that killed my fish
    Posted: May 08 2017 at 8:02pm
Hey I was wondering if someone can tell me what this kid that killed my baby clownfish. As you can tell in the photos there is white patches. It does not look to be like brooklynella or velvet as it is more patchy. I have tried treating with kanaplex, and also neoplex. Neither seemed to really help. I also noticed this morning that there was white stringy stuff coming out of its pooper. Not sure if it is from stress or possibly an internal parasites. However the fact that I am seeing stuff on the outside makes me wonder what is going on does anybody have a clue?
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 8:05pm
I'm more than happy to text photos to anyone who thinks they may be able to help. Pictures aren't detailed enough on the website
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 8:07pm
I'm more than happy to text photos to anyone who thinks they may be able to help. Pictures aren't detailed enough on the website. My number is 801 698 8646. Photos on my phone are very clear and detailed
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 7:42am
No idea but I'm sorry for your loss Unhappy
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 10:39am
White stringy poop is a classic sign of an intestinal parasite. Maybe it has more then one thing going on? Here is a comprehensive list of fish diseases with lots of picture to help identify what it is. It also gives a link with how to treat each disease. Hopefully it helps.
Fish Disease Index

Edited by Hogie - May 09 2017 at 10:41am
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 12:55pm
Thanks hydro and Hogue. The link was helpful. I am thinking lymphosistis with possibly internal parasites. Or instead of lymph or may be lots of flukes on the face. Treating dt with prazipro now and then will be administering metroplex. Thanks again both of you.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 6:08pm
Sorry for your loss.

Out of eleven tank bred and raised clownfish purchased in the last three months, eight have passed away within weeks of purchase. Having raised clownfish myself and having had discussions with other breeders, I have developed a theory, explained below:

In the wild, ~390 out of a batch of ~400 hatching clownfish were never meant to survive to adults. Clownfish larvae become eaten as plankton, juveniles get sucked up by predators, they become compromised by disease, done in by parasites and die of various genetic problems. Genetically and statistically speaking, most clownfish are going to be fairly weak.

Today we see some breeders claiming 95% survival rates. In order to make a good profit, these fish are raised in sterile conditions where baby fish are kept away from disease and parasites. 

It's only nature then that most tank bred and raised clownfish are not going to survive for long because 
1- they are not strong in the first place and 
2- they are not exposed to things which would strengthen them for long term survival in our tanks.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 7:11pm
That is a very interesting thought Mark. Natural selection essentially. What does the white areas look like to you?
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 11:13pm
From the pic i cant tell, text me pic to 385-299-6003 and ill see if i can see anything.  White string poop is common in clowns that are stressed or have had a diet change.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic