Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back in it again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
electricreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back in it again
    Posted: May 10 2017 at 10:27am
Oh I almost forgot one more cheap and easy upgrade that made my little tank (14 gal) much happier was when I added one of those hydro-flo deflectors to the supply pump output. Helped a ton with gas exchange and cooling that little tank. Evaporation went up however. They are pretty awesome for a small tank where you don't have many options for creating random flow.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 8:41pm
Welcome back Nick!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
electricreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 7:43pm
Hey, since you are going sumpless definitely check out In-Tank media baskets for that cube. They are slick little units that make adding media (carbon, chemipure, purigen) and maintaining it way easier and more effective. Also possibly the best thing I ever did that made the hobby much more fun and enjoyable after I first started with a small tank was get a setup to make your own RO water. I can't recommend that enough. Especially on a small tank where evaporation rates dramatically affect your parameters in a short amount of time. If your anything like me.... sometimes the last thing you wanna do is go get water after work and compete with traffic, football practice, kids homework whatever, so you leave it for one more night then boom you end up with a salinity problem or pumps running dry etc...also I'm not sure what they come with these days but the led retrofit kits are sweet but pricey. A diy is a lot cheaper and just as effective if your handy at all. My cube had power compacts and they were never enough plus if you forget the change them out in 6 months then once again massive problems, tiny tank!!!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 3:49pm
I've never had a biocube. I did have a JBJ nanocube that I made a ton of changes to (see link in my signature). I'm not sure if any of that will help with this tank or not.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 3:38pm
Yeah, planning on sumpless with this little guy. Pretty much stock is my plan, except for little upgrades. Thanks for the help! Any cool ideas on upgrading a 14 gallon biocube? I may be interested in doing that
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 3:20pm
Are you thinking of going sumpless on this like your previous tanks? If you are then not much has changed from what you did before. There is new equipment out there but the basics are the same, setup is the same and maintenance is the same.

If you want to step it up a notch then there is tons of stuff that you can do with automation, DIY, sump filtration, etc to make it easier or to increase the amount of life you can put in the tank.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 3:14pm
Not quite sure what has changed over the last 5 years. Setting up a 14 gallon stock biocube. I plan on using filter floss, chaeto, and live rock in the media portion of the tank and adding an led for that part. Then 3 inches or so of sand and 20lbs or so of live rock on the main portion. Wanting to do a zoa, lps tank with maybr a goby and shrimp for livestock. Any pointers to make this setup better?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 3:05pm
Welcome back!

I'm not sure what specific pointers you are looking for? Setup, species info, coral data, etc.? Get us in the ballpark and I'm sure we can help you jump back in feet first again. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 3:02pm
I have been out of the game for a while now but getting back in with a little biocube. My name is Nick and I live in the mill creek area. I feel like I know nothing now haha. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. For everyone that remembers me, hello again, and hello to all the other people I have not met.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic