Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sca-301 skimmer problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stez38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stez38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sca-301 skimmer problem.
    Posted: May 09 2017 at 4:53pm
So I'm having a problem with the skimmer, I'm not sure what happens when the rotor and impeller go bad, but I've heard pumps just usually go out when they are bad. So what happening is I'm barely getting any bubbles up to the skimmer, when I turn it from off up to 5 the water just rises with very little amount of bubbles, I've check the pumped ran it with vinegar, I've made sure the water height was ok and also made sure there was no blockage in the air tubes. So I'm not sure what has went bad, the pump, the skimmer, or the rotor and impeller in the pump. Nothing I'm the pump looks bad FYI and nothing I'm the skimmer body looks bad. Any advice would be appreciated thanks!!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 3:14am
You sure your venturi is working properly and the air tube is clear? Also, make sure you have a needle impeller, otherwise it wont work well.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 6:42am
Take the air line off of the silencer and see if the amount of bubbles changes. Silencers can get salt build up in them as well and cause air flow problems. Most silencers can be opened and cleaned to remove any blockages.

If it's not there then I would check the small hole where the tubing connects to the fitting at the front of the pump. The tubing may be clear but the hole through the venturi is blocked. Most of them you can poke a straightened paperclip through and have it come out in the opening where the water enters the pump. Make sure all of that is clear.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 8:06am
Blow into the air tube to see if you can make big bubbles in your skimmer kinda like blowing through a strawninto your milk. Old habits I know lol. It's possible the impeller has separated from the shaft and really isn't spinning if at all.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 8:16am
If that was the case then I don't think his water level would change in the skimmer as he turns the pump up and down. Blowing in the tube would help show if the venturi was plugged though.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Stez38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stez38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 5:31pm
I checked al things you guys told me to I blew air threw everything, and it's doing the samething, I did take the pump apart and clean it so I know it has a needle impeller and I thought maybe the Venturi was broke, but I did blow air through it and it seemed fine, I ordered a pump and we will see if that's the problem because it seems really weak so I'll let you guys know if that works if it doesn't I think I'll order a new Venturi, I just don't see it being anything else besides them 2 parts. Thanks for the help guys!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 7:12pm
Make sure the venture is facing the right direction too! But yea, a weak and old pump may not have enough push to get the water where it needs to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic