Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone tried this kit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone tried this kit?
    Posted: May 15 2017 at 12:54pm
I saw this kit on Amazon and was wondering if anyone had used it. Was it enough light for coral?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008DGCQK0/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1494874317&sr=8-12&keywords=biocube+14+light
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 7:00am
Based on the very limited information given in the details of those lights I would say that they will do find for soft corals and some lower light LPS corals. Above that and I don't think they are going to do well. It would also appear that the two strips in that kit are both very blue in color with almost no white. This may give you a very blue look to your tank as well. That may be a consideration that needs to be factored in.

Have you researched these lights outside of Amazon to see if that color combination is what you are looking for? Have others tried this setup on the same tank and what did they find? I'm sure there is more information out there about these lights on the system you are looking at putting them on. If you know that these lights are the ones you want for your tank then the price on Amazon is about the lowest I found with just a quick search.

Hope that helps.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 11:55pm
Thanks. From what I found, people with a little nano usually put in 2 of these to grow sps. It is something I am definitely going to consider. I would like to upgrade the lighting, but I do like the look of the hood on the tank so I would like to retrofit some kit into it rather than pulling the hood off. Thanks for the help. I saw that about the blue but I like the blue look. On my old tank I ran 20k's and really liked the blue look to it.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic