Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hair algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair algae
    Posted: May 22 2017 at 11:21pm
I got pretty bad Hair algae. Any ideas how to get rid of it. I got a snow flake eel, pink tail trigger, puffer, blue face, yellow tang, 2 maroon clowns and a hippo tang.
JD_Duval87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD_Duval87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 6:29am
When i had my last tank set up i had a hair algae problem really bad. After reading everything i could i finally started vodka dosing. First step i got off as much algae as i could (my rock's weren't glued together so i removed the problem rock, cleanes it off, then put it back in) then i started the vodka dosing. It worked great! This was a few years ago, I've been out of the hobby for a little while now, so I'm not sure if a better solution is out there or not, but that's what i did. The key is to go super slow and be patient with it, rushing could crash a tank. Just google vodka dosing a saltwater tank.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 10:20am
Do you know what is causing the hair algae? If you don't solve that problem then going through solutions to get rid of the hair algae will either not work or will only provide a short term fix.

What is your normal husbandry routine? How often do you test your water? What and how often are you feeding? Do you dose and if so what?

These are all important keys to what might be causing it and helping in providing the right solution. Can you give a bit more information?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
JD_Duval87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD_Duval87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 11:35am
Good points Krazie, i always forget to ask these questions.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 11:46am
Básed on the fish list, I would think a lot of food goes into this to feed them. Obviously a nutrient issue with gha leading the way to munch upon those excess nutrients. Stepping up your nutrient export game will be the answer to this issue. Vodka dosing is a favorite of mine as you can drink it as well when things go wrong. be ßure you have an excellent skimmer or else carbon dosing will only exacerbate an already tough situation increasing flow in the tank to suspend and remove excess food and excrement helps as well. Water testing is great but can give you false readings since the gha eats what's you're testing for. Just assume since you have gha you have excess nitrate and phosphate. Remove all the algae you can by hand and do a huge water change to drop nutrients fast. I personally would look into carbon dosing based on your fish load. My final choice of carbon was vinegar as it is far.more forgiving then the others imo. Go slow if you go the carbon dosing route.

Edited by Reefer4Ever - May 23 2017 at 11:47am
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic