Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone identify this "algae"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rackham1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone identify this "algae"?
    Posted: May 27 2017 at 2:53pm
Can anyone identify what this is growing in my sump? Preferably a specific species if you can.

Rackham1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 2:58pm
Working on trying to upload the photo
Rackham1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 3:03pm
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 5:46pm
I can't see a pic for some reason.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Rackham1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 5:59pm
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 6:03pm
The red stuff?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 11:47pm
If you're talking the green strand it looks similar to a macro I have called Razor Caulerpa but I can't tell for sure
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Rackham1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 9:01am
No sorry the one green strand.
Rackham1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 9:03am
I was thinking caulerpa too but by no means do I have any experience with using or identifying macro algae.

Edited by Rackham1 - May 28 2017 at 9:04am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 2:33pm
I too see Razor Caulerpa (C. serrulata). There are websites where you can compare yours to the pictures of different kinds of Caulerpa. Here is a decent site: https://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/291/docs/Caulerpa_Species_ID_Key.pdf

On a side note I'm seeing a Refugium that will do better with better quality Macroalgae and a whole lot more of it. Have you considered getting some Chaetomorpha (pronounced Kate-O-morfa). Many hobbyists around here give it away as they harvest. I have tons of it I can give you if you are ever near Murray.

The brown and red algae that I see growing there currently can become a real nuisance that we try to keep from growing in the display tank. It can be minimized by adding a Pacific Turbo Snail to eat it and then the Chaeto and Caulerpa will flourish.

Macroalgae growing tip: I always try to keep Caulerpa upstream of Chaeto, otherwise the Caulerpa will starve for nutrients because Chaeto is such a hog. 

How deep is that Refugium? We are looking down on it, right? Maybe that white panel could be removed to make more room. I am having trouble deciphering the image. Anyway, deeper water gives more room for macroalgae which makes for better nutrient removal.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 2:41pm
On the other hand, if the macroalgae you have put in that Refugium has not done well, from what I see, it's the light. It looks to dim to me. The light I have found best is what we have affectionately called the "HD Special". For less than $15 at most hardware stores you can get a clip-on aluminum cone reflector and a high wattage twist PC bulb of the Daylight color. This setup gives the most bang for your buck. Smile

Just trying to be helpful. Hug Aloha
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Rackham1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 9:40pm
Thanks for the info, very informative. It's actually the return part of my sump that had the one little strand and that patch of algae. Not sure where it came from. The wall is part of the bubble trap coming from the skimmer compartment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic