Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single Species Marine Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single Species Marine Tank
    Posted: May 30 2017 at 3:43pm
So I got another 125 gallon fish tank that is going to act as a room divider.  With this one, I think I want a saltwater aquarium.  If you have read my other post, you know that I am putting together an aquaponics goldfish aquarium.  It has an Asian theme to it.  The plants will be pathos and lucky bamboo.  And of course goldfish are an Asian species.  The goldfish tank will sit on the opposite wall from the salt water aquarium.  Because of this I am targeting a similar theme. 

I was thinking about attempting a clown fish harem and possibly aquascape it with an anemone bonzai tree similar to this one but on a larger scale.

Or I can do a mangrove forest to simulate a bamboo forest with anemones acting as a lush tropical forest. Regardless of what aquascape I land on, I am pausing because I am wondering if perhaps I am naive to other fish that would work well with my theme and also be easier to do as a single species aquarium aside from the clean up crew.  I am going all out on that score.  I think I will just find marine animals that are good at blending into the aquascape so they don't detract from the display fish.

I know there will be some that will reply that I really should consider a diverse community tank.  I have and I like uniformity and consistency a single species tank.  For me these tanks have a wow factor for me. 

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and helpful suggestions. Smile

Cheers,
Keightley

Edited by keightley - May 30 2017 at 4:00pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 7:53pm
They are certainly appealing tanks, although not always promoted.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 8:57pm
I think that would be cool! Would you do different clowns or only one type? I was also thinking a wrasse or goby tank would be sweet.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 2:35am
I love anemone tanks but you won't get the look you are wanting above because they don't always stay where you put them and will move to a spot of their liking. I'm not positive but I do believe those are torch corals in the photo above.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 8:32am
@aquariusnewbie, I think I would go with nemo, the ocellaris clownfish.  And maybe throw in a black and white ocellaris as well.  

@bsstuver, I know it will be difficult to get them to stay but there must be some tricks of the trade to encourage them into a spot for a time. Smile
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 9:02am
| I'm not positive but I do believe those are torch corals in the photo above.

They are definitely torch corals
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by keightley keightley wrote:

@aquariusnewbie, I think I would go with nemo, the ocellaris clownfish.  <span style="font-size: 14px; : rgb248, 248, 248;">And maybe throw in a black and white ocellaris as well.  </span>
<span style="font-size: 14px; : rgb248, 248, 248;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 14px; : rgb248, 248, 248;">@bsstuver, I know it will be difficult to get them to stay but there must be some tricks of the trade to encourage them into a spot for a time. Smile</span>

Ha no I'm sorry anemones will literally move where they want and they can be happy in one place for months and you look in your tank and it's decided to move clear across the tank. There are no sure fire ways to keep them in one place so if that's what you're looking to do you won't want to go with anemones. Clowns will host other corals such as euphyhillia species like the torch but sometimes that will cause them to get black spots from it stinging them. Please read up on anemones or any species you plan to keep there are a lot of different types and a lot of info across the web. Also just so you know sometimes clowns will not host anemones, I have 5 anemones in my tank and the stupid clowns I have refuse to host them.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic