Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will this work for a stand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will this work for a stand?
    Posted: June 01 2017 at 12:22pm
Okay, I found a cabinet on KSL that I really like that I want to use for an aquarium base / stand.  But I am concerned whether or not it can hold the weight when the aquarium is full of water.  My aquarium is 125 gallons.  The cabinet is made out of Teak which is a hard wood.  Then the legs (about 4 to 6" tall) look like they are made out of steel.  Below is a picture. What do you think?

Keightley

Edited by keightley - June 01 2017 at 12:27pm
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 12:24pm
No picture?
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 12:28pm
There was some technical errors.  Smile  But I got it all worked out. 
~Keightley
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 12:31pm
Can we see inside the stand? It's not really plausible to say if it will be structurally sound or not without seeing how it's built. Item of note, normally, a tank of that size will need to sit on some rigid foam insulation. Most stands have a little lip that hides that unsightly insulation. Do you have an idea on how to hide it on the top of the cabinet?

Edited by Hogie - June 01 2017 at 12:36pm
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 1:05pm
I don't know how I am going to cover up the black trim and the foam up yet.  I haven't thought that far. My initial thought is to install a metal L channel on the cabinet top.  Anyway... I will cross that bridge when I get there. Smile  Here are some pictures of the inside that were sent to me.

Keightley

Edited by keightley - June 01 2017 at 1:08pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 1:15pm
It looks like the frame of that would work well. I'm pretty sure the black on the bottom edge and legs is just painted. The legs extend from top to bottom which is good. The rails around the top are stout. The only concern I would have would be that because the only thing that touches the floor is the 4 legs the entire weight of the stand and tank with water will be on those four spots on the floor. I'm not sure what your floor is where this will be sitting but if it isn't a concrete basement floor I would worry some.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 1:22pm
The aquarium set will be in the basement.  And the legs are made of metal or so sayth the ad, "Natural teak, wire brushed buffet sideboard. Steel legs and base."  I just grabbed the picture below from the ad.

Keightley

Edited by keightley - June 01 2017 at 1:25pm
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 5:11pm
125 gallons is a lot of weight for a piece of furniture. Furniture like that is not made for that type of weight. Not saying that it wouldn't work but just be cautious. If someone with experience is close to you, then I'd let them get eyes on it first. I've built many aquarium stands and there is extra structural work that needs to be in place to support a tank that size
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 11:44pm
Unfortunately I am one of those people who are without friends nor family in the area.  Hence why I came here for advice.  So what do I need to look for when I go to pick it up that will tell me to walk away from the deal?  Anyone?

Keightley 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 9:20am
Sorry, it's a fine dresser, but my vote is NO.

This method may seem silly but it works for me. When I consider using a furniture piece for an aquarium stand I get myself up on the furniture, either standing or sitting and jump/wiggle around on it. I'm over 200 lbs. which is probably more than you weigh so you might ask the owner to sit on it as well. If there is ANY wobble when you're wiggling around, don't buy it.

Consider that 125 gallons of salt water weighs 1075 lbs.(125 x 8.6). The aquarium itself plus LS and LR brings the total weight close to 1500 lbs., not including sump/Refugium. That's why, with me on top, any wiggle in the furniture, even just a slight shift (or creak) at a joint, probably makes the furniture a no-no for a stand, unless it can be reinforced in some way. 

That pic of the metal joint at the leg makes me question the stability of it. It's probably bolted together where the metal would actually need to be welded. 

Also the metal legs/frame seem create a base that a large wooden box sits on. Can the wooden box itself support 1500 lbs.? The pics of the inside tell me it cannot. Have you ever seen the inside of an aquarium stand made by Driftwood Aquarium Furniture. It's the business owned by Dion Richins of the WMAS presidency. Click on the name and look around the site. I believe there are some pics and explanation for the thick solid structure he builds to hold the weight of an aquarium full of water sand and rock.

Also, was this tank going to have a sump? The shelf would need to be removed and then I would ask how well the inside of the wooden box would support a sump/Refugium weighing about 200 lbs.? When sumps are placed inside enclosed wooden boxes, the moisture makes the wood want to warp.

It's a beautiful piece of furniture. Hope this helps you see how to evaluate feasibility by looking at the entire structure and a water environment.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 12:01pm
Thank Mark.  That is exactly the advice I need.  And I am finally getting some quotes on a t-slot aluminum stand within the same price range as how much it would cost me to buy this piece of furniture and fix it up for my home.  

Furniture $350
Movers $100   (I don't have a vehicle so I need movers with a truck)
Paint $25-50
Miscellaneous Painting Stuff $100 (I don't have a sander so I would have to buy one to paint it right)
Drilling holes for plumping $100 (again.. I don't have a drill. I would hire someone to do this for me)

Cost of a t-slotted aquarium stand $500 - $550.  No painting. No drilling.  No cutting.  No nailing. No using a screw gun.  

This is a no brainer!  LOL

Keightley

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 12:28pm
I agree with Mark. It might work, but why take a chance on having 125 gallons of water on the floor...that's not something to mess around with.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 8:39am
I'm late in this discussion but that does not look like metal base. At least not welded metal.
I cant tell you how many of these type of furniture pieces I've seen crash :(

I am concerned about your t-slotted aluminum. If its not at least 1/4 - 3/8 thick it will be week. Aluminum is great for no corrosion but it is week if not configured properly.

Again consider 1500 lbs of liquid weight meaning movement from running in to it, house settling etc. will put sidewise stress on your frame. Do your due diligence and plan out a strong stable base :)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 3:37pm
...everyone agrees with mark?
Someone sticky this thread...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic