Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef Supplements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reef Supplements
    Posted: June 19 2017 at 11:58pm
Love the Benereef food, also use the Reef Nutrition brand-phyto feast, oyster feast, R.O.E. ect., 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 10:10am
Looking for what "experienced reefers" have to say? The average longevity of hobbyists is only about 2 years so it's kind of difficult to get really good information to a question like this. 

My 2 cents, what I have learned in 24+ years of keeping reef aquariums is that feeding the fish can actually cover a lot of invertebrate feeding that new hobbyists often read about. Coral are just a few of the thousands of invertebrates that should be living in a healthy system. Ideally we would like to have a system that feeds itself with the live food that occurs on the wild reef. This is very difficult to acheive but there are methods to increase the amount of live food in our systems.

In my experience, the kind of feeding that promotes food growth within the reef aquarium system includes frozen meaty foods with algae along with fresh algae. Algae(plants) is the basis of all life on earth. Yet the most important "food" we can feed our reef aquariums is Alkalinity(Alk), Calcium(Ca), Magnesium(Mg), Iodine and a few other trace elements that coral and inverts eat as they grow. 

Gonna have to interrupt this post to go take care of something. In the meantime, read more about this topic in the thread linked below in my signature line. Not only is this topic covered in the Reefkeeping Tips but a discussion of how to do Alk, Ca and Mg dosing is there in that thread as well.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Wrogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 9:14am
Hello jay,
I have tried it seems to be OK. I have seen some reviews on Benereef that claim that there where problems using it. I have not had any issues.. When I feed it I do a broadcast, turn all your stuff off but wave makers let your tank clear before restart..  That should help with your skimmer getting all the food..lol .. Let me know how it works for you.. There is so much out there its hard sometimes to pick one.. This is just the way I do it. Others I am sure have other ways  :} 
jaywilson709 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaywilson709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 8:26am
I am a newbie to reefing and I was wondering what most experienced reefers are feeding their corals.
I started off trying some Kent PhytoPlex it seemed to me most of it ended up in my skimmer, I decided to try some Benereef, I looked online for reviews and I didn't find any. has anyone tried it yet if so what are your thoughts on this product? is it worth the price? 

I would like to here back on suggestion or advice on what everyone thinks.

Thanks, Jay

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic