Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RedDragon pump troubleshoot!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RedDragon pump troubleshoot!
    Posted: June 30 2017 at 4:08pm
Can the shaft be held between thumb and finger to spin the impeller? Look for very slight irregularity as it spins. I saw on youtube where the RedDragon impeller magnet had separated from it's plastic support. Anything could happen to make an impeller noisy or not able to turn. These electronic controlled pumps now have interesting safeguards and settings which might get easily confused causing the controller to stop it's own power. That might be why it buzzes on and off then seems to turn itself off.
What has Customer Service said?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
FinTastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinTastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 11:37am
Well, the impeller looks perfectly fine to me. It's not separated from the shaft or shaped strange at all.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 11:17am
I'd call the company to see what they suggest. 
The impeller is always the most likely culprit. Is the magnetic cylinder of the impeller bulged, swollen or warped in any way? I've had an impeller where the cylinder looked fine but the top had ever so slightly swollen on one side causing the blades to shift off axis so it didn't turn true.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
FinTastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinTastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 5:58pm
Ok guys,
I've got this 1500 RedDragon pump for my Vertx Alpha 200 that has quit on me. I've found that it still buzzes on and off a few times, prop doesn't spin, before stopping completely after you first plug it in. So obviously it's still savable I hope. I just wanted to see if anybody here can help me narrow down which part to replace. Before I just use elimination to fix it and end up spending more than necessary.
I pulled it apart and the prop was easy to take out but the bearing was very, very difficult. I actually will have to get a new one regardless because I ripped the o-ring and chewed up the bearing up trying to pull it out. Haha!

I bought this skimmer used a few months ago so kinda sad it has come up with issues already. Guess that's the nature of the beast with used stuff. Oh well!

Thanks in advanced! Any input is appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic