Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish Fossil Mural

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BenchsTanks View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenchsTanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Fossil Mural
    Posted: June 28 2017 at 9:28pm
Here is the fish fossil mural that I have built. Inspired and dug up some of them my self from the Saturday excursion in the Wyoming fish quarry that the club did last year. It is 48"H x 96"L and weight about 850 lbs. Hanging over my stairs. Just though I would share.

Bryan
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 9:43pm
That is AWESOME!!!!

Mine are still in a box waiting for me to do something with them. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenchsTanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 9:47pm
Thank you

I seen one online about 2 years ago. Got inspired. Although it was $14,000.00. I figure mine is worth agout $4 to $5,000.00 because the fossils are not grade A.

400 Gal Island Mix Reef
20 Gal Wall Tank Mix Reef
14 Gal Bio Cube Mix Reef
PADI Dive Master
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 10:05pm
How is it supported?  That is a lot of weight.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenchsTanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 11:26pm
5 ea 1/2" x 3" lag bolts in wall studs. Custom keyed metal back so it can not come off unless you move mural to the right 6" Took 5 guys to lift in to place. After 3 guys failed the first time and almost dropped it on our heads.

Also have a question about this Feeding a Reef  by Adam Blundell and Jake Pehrson I found it in past presentations. Slide 59. Can you really feed gelatin to your fish?  I have been looking for something to add to my auto feeder food  to keep the mysis shrimp suspended for the BRS doser .

Who is Fenner?

Thank you
Bryan

400 Gal Island Mix Reef
14 Gal Bio Cube Mix Reef
PADI Dive Master
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 2:42am
That's awesome!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:20am
Whoa, super awesome
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:31am
Well done!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:31am
Wow, that paleoichthyology display is out of this world! Clap

Answers to your questions:
Bob Fenner is much more than just a famous reef hobby expert. Read this:

Gelatin is animal protein that has been separated from other animal parts and then processed into a product used to hold water and food together. Besides Jello, we eat it often in a plethora of manufactured foods. Frozen fish foods often contain gelatin as a binder to hold it together so the fish can see and eat it. (IMO some of these foods contain way too much gelatin causing the food to float around as large globs. yuk)

FYI, plant protein has become as widely used as gelatin. It's big business to process seaweed such as Sargassum to produce products that hold water and food together. I worked for these companies. Alginate and Carrageenan are two of the products. Xanthan Gum and Cellulose Gum are natural ingredients listed in the labels on many sauces, salad dressings and a host of other foods we eat every day.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 12:17pm
Wow, Brian, that came out fantastic!!! ClapClapClap

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenchsTanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 4:42pm
Thank you all.

You can come see it if I am accepted to be one of the stops in the reef tour coming up in November. If I am not out of town.

I need to get my liquid auto feed working on the 400 gal. I am going to mix Hikari frozen mysis & brine and the gelitin together and feed it though my doseing pumps. I have been doing this for over a year on my wall tank with Reef Nutrition mysis. Although very expensive to feed 50 fish that way. I need to make my own mix.
400 Gal Island Mix Reef
14 Gal Bio Cube Mix Reef
PADI Dive Master
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenchsTanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 4:44pm
Mark Peterson or anyone for that matter. Call me if you have any insight on mixing up my own food with gelatin.

Call or text anytime. 801-598-3437
400 Gal Island Mix Reef
14 Gal Bio Cube Mix Reef
PADI Dive Master
AquariumGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AquariumGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 1:29am
Definitely cool!

My SILs brother sells fossils for a living and he made or is making a really cool one similar to yours. I don't want to figure out posting photos from my phone to this page but you can see it on his IG page. fossilogic
�A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.� - Royce Gracie
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by BenchsTanks BenchsTanks wrote:

Thank you all.

You can come see it if I am accepted to be one of the stops in the reef tour coming up in November. If I am not out of town.

I need to get my liquid auto feed working on the 400 gal. I am going to mix Hikari frozen mysis & brine and the gelitin together and feed it though my doseing pumps. I have been doing this for over a year on my wall tank with Reef Nutrition mysis. Although very expensive to feed 50 fish that way. I need to make my own mix.

Done you are in!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic