Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the right amount of light?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the right amount of light?
    Posted: July 07 2017 at 3:29pm
There is something that concerns me that may be happening in the hobby these days. Below is a graph from the lighting schedule of an Aqua Illumination Hydra 26HD program found posted on reef2reef. I believe it was posted as an example of an acceptable lighting schedule. My concern is threefold:
1. the intensity of the blues is set too high;
2. the effective photoperiod is set too short;
3. the spectrum of light may actually be inadequate.

What's your opinion?

Regarding my comment #3: The number of LED's of each specific color that is included in these fixtures is built that way to account for the needs of coral as well as the "look" required by the whole range of hobbyist individual preferences. I'm just wondering what really is the best combination of these wavelengths for coral and where is the point where individual preference may have a negative effect on the needs of the coral?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 3:51pm
pics not showing... so.. 
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 3:51pm
My opinion is the graphic or link should work better.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 5:53am

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 4:43pm
The company claims the Hydra 26 fixture operates at 90W so may we assume that each of the 26 LED's is rated at 3.46W? If so, the table below is illuminating. (pun intended Wink )

UV      40% of two LEDs       6.92W X 40% = 2.77W /57.75 total watts = 4.8% of the total
Violet  55% of two LEDs       6.92W X 55% = 3.81W /57.75 = 6.6%
RBlue  105% of six LEDs     20.6W X 105% = 21.63W /57.75 = 37.5%
Blue    100% of six LEDs     20.6W X 100% = 20.6W /57.75 = 35.7%
Green  10% of two LEDs       6.92W X 10% = 0.69W /57.75 = 1.2%
Red     15% of two LEDs       6.92W X 15% = 1.04W /57.75 = 1.8%
White   35% of six LEDs      20.6W X 35% =  7.21W /90 = 12.5%
                                                                _______ 
                                                                  57.75W

Of 57.75 Watts the intensity of the UV, Violet, Red and Green LEDs are fairly insignificant compared to the Royal Blue and Blue which make up ~73.2% of the total light emitted from that fixture. Only Cool White is also significant at 12.5% of the light emitted.

Where to go from here? Confused

Wrogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 7:48am
Hello Mark,

I was wondering how this light set up is working for you.. We use the same light on a 50 gal cube. Reds and green to my understanding are more for us then our tanks. Everything else looks about the same as our set up we run our UV lower..  Have you did a Par test ? How are your corals doing?? We did map out are tank on Par, this unit puts out some good light.. Would love to hear what you have done and how your tank has responded to changes you have made.. We are always looking to improve our set up  :}   Thank You, Will
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 9:47pm
Maybe I wasn't clear. That schedule is one that I believe to be inappropriate. I do not use it. It was sent to me by a friend, new to the hobby that recently sunburned all his coral and the Coralline Algae on the tops of LR. Many of the coral received a fatal dose of bright light (mostly blues set at close to 100%) in just a few days. His coral started dieing a week after the overexposure and kept dieing for two weeks.

There is very serious trouble with this blue light, formerly referred to as Actinic blue, that hobbyists may not realize. It is the fact that our eyes do not recognize the intensity of this bright blue light. It is burning our coral but we can't see it. We only see the effect after the sunburn.

Copied below for your benefit, is what I said in the OP about the problem I see with that pictured schedule. I was wondering if anyone else sees the same problems that I see:
1. the intensity of the blues is set too high;
2. the effective photoperiod is set too short (with sunrise and sunset ramping set way too long);
3. the spectrum of light may actually be inadequate

Aloha,
Mark

P.S. It's very difficult to get an accurate PAR reading of LED lights, because they emit such a narrow band of the complete spectrum. On!y the newest, high price, top-of-the-line PAR meters can give an accurate reading.
Red, green and white, are not just for our eyes. The white LED's in these Hydra and Prime fixtures probably emit some red and green too. In shallow water, where many SPS coral live, coral are exposed to a fuller spectrum, including UV. These days we don't bring coral directly from the ocean to our tanks. Coral we see today has been grown under artificial lighting, typically less intense than in the wild.

Having been exposed to all the different types of lighting this hobby has used, and finding MH lighting to be a standard to which we often compare, I found my recent installation of a 150 W 14000 K MH and a Hydra 26 on either side of a tank to be quite revealing. To make the LED light match the MH, the violet, blues and white were set in the high 30% intensity with UV, red and green about half that.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 8:18am
Further thoughts on this subject. 
The length of exposure is as important to coral as is the intensity. This fact has been well known in the hobby for years. Since we want to look at our tanks from sunup to way past sundown, it's useful to set the intensity at a moderate level yet have it shine from morning until we go to bed. This delivers the same useful "quantity" of light energy, spread out over a longer photoperiod.

Taking between 1/2 to 1 hour to ramp up (rather than 4 hours as in the schedule pictured above, is also more useful to the coral. 

There is another reason to run the channels at less than 50% intensity. LED's lose intensity about 5%/year before they either burn out or just glow. This means after 5 years they are only 75% as bright as when we bought them. Having the ability to increase the power can keep them shining bright enough on our tanks for, hopefully, 10 years or more. 

Just my 2 cents. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic