Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chasing Coral Screening - Free Event

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chasing Coral Screening - Free Event
    Posted: July 17 2017 at 7:12am
We are partnering with Chasing Coral to show a free screening on Tuesday, Aug 1st at 7pm.  Space is limited so we need you to RSVP.  We will also be doing a Q/A after the screening

CHASING CORAL: AN EXPOSURE LABS PRODUCTION
Coral reefs around the world are vanishing at an unprecedented rate. A team of divers, photographers and scientists set out on a thrilling ocean adventure to discover why and to reveal the underwater mystery to the world.

Watch the trailer here

https://youtu.be/b6fHA9R2cKI

http://www.chasingcoral.com/

We have space for 30-35 people, please RSVP soon and if you do RSVP do everything you can to make it as you are taking a spot from someone else.  See you soon!

Where to watch:

University of Utah

408 South - Physics

Parking - Presidents Circle and also a parking garage on the east side of building. 

You can also stream this movie on Netflix if you have the service. 

Tomorrow's event is at the University of Utah, Physics Building

Map for building and parking location. South Physics Building 10 - Room 408 (4th floor). We will have a Presidency member outside to help people find it.

Check this post for map.

Edited by jdinchak - July 31 2017 at 8:10pm
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 10:54am
This is awesome!
Next Meeting: Holiday Social
DanhNgo View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 3:51pm
I'd seen this show already and it's pretty good.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
phys View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 4:11am
Map to the building here: bit.ly/2ugYxdf ---- copy and paste this.. also, if it doesn't show a marker, you want to look for the building "phys" or search for building 10. 

Edited by phys - July 31 2017 at 8:01pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 11:33am
Every person should see this. I was going to say 'every hobbyist should see this' but instead, I believe that every hobbyist should take their family and friends to see this movie

I won't be in Salt Lake on August 1 so just this morning my wife and I viewed it on a Netflix subscription at a relatives home. I've got to say that I am glad that we had already viewed the Nye-Schwartzenegger video several times. It prepared me for what I saw in the Chasing Coral movie.

What can I do to help? Although I believe that really terrible times are ahead of us, that these times are inevitable and that they will precede a new era for our planet, I cannot in good faith sit idly by and let my planet suffer.

I read this to my wife and asked her what she thought. In frustration and possibly some resignation, she responded, "What can I do?". Ouch
Indeed.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 8:47am
This is coming up!!!!  Tuesday
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 1:28pm
Let us know if you are coming.  Remember this will be at the University of Utah!
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 8:10pm
Updated with a map
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:53am
We had 11 people at the screening.  The setup Paul had was great, good picture and sound.  I really enjoyed the documentary and I think others did as well.  We had some great conversations after.  It was fun to have other people in the room to discuss with.  

I highly recommend seeing it.  It was beautifully shot and I learned some new things as well.  

For those who have seen it, curious your take?
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
theresawhite View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theresawhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 11:16am
We also had a great time. Thanks to Paul for offering the space.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 7:20pm
I loved the documentary. I wish I could have been at the screening. Mentioned in the film was the original documentary Chasing Ice. Found on Youtube I posted it below. 

According to another program I was just watching, the longest running gauge of sea level rising is at the Golden Gate Bridge. The data show that the ocean has risen as much as 7" to 15" in 150 years, but that the last 30 years has seen the majority of that rise. The worlds ice is melting, the worlds reefs are dying and the worlds forests are disappearing. CO2 that is increasing in our atmosphere and ocean is being proven as the major destroyer of the way of life on our planet.

Here is the beginning of a list of what I personally can do to help.
1. Drive and fly less and combine trips to the store/around town. Take the bus, train and Shuttles as much as possible.
2. Walk to more destinations.
3. Not turn up the heat on the water heater and shower in cooler water.
4. Continue to eat hardly any meat and dairy
5. Use less fossil fuel generated electricity
6. Get involved here in St. George. The St. George City website says that only 1% of the city's electrical power comes from a solar generation, while 79% comes from the burning of fossil fuels. The other 20% is hydroelectric so that's good.
7. Grow more plants to absorb CO2
8. Look for creative, alternative ways to reduce Climate Change

Please help this list to grow.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic