Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I think my clownfish laid eggs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think my clownfish laid eggs?
    Posted: July 23 2017 at 7:56pm
I've always wondered if they would and my wife just noticed these hidden behind the anemone today. If they are is there anything I can do to help survival rates? Never really planned for this would be cool to be able to raise a few. Other 2 fish in the tank 30L are a small 6line wrasse and a Valentini puffer. I've actually finished cycling a new 20g and was planning on moving only over my clowns but looks like I'll be waiting now.

Edited by Zack801 - July 23 2017 at 7:56pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 7:16am
Congratulations  Clap

If raising clownfish babies is what you want to do, that's awesome. Unfortunately it's too late for this hatch. They look about 3 days from hatching. Would you like to watch this hatch?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Moving the clownfish stops their laying for usually 6 - 12 months.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 12:31pm
I haven't done much research on this and it's totally unexpected but awesome! What makes it to late for these ones currently? For the future after i move them over the their new tank is there something else i can do to be more prepared to handle this next time? I would love to try raising some 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 8:49am
The reason I said that is  twofold; 1) a proper tank must be set up to keep the Clownfish when they are Larvae and then when they change to baby Clownfish; and 2) the proper food must be grown or acquired.

Here is a thread from a little over a month ago where this same topic came up. Shaun and I put some helpful information there:

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 8:58am
Awesome thanks mark, I'll check out the thread you linked
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 10:16pm
Looks like clown eggs to me, congrats!
A few basics you will need: a rotifer culture, phyto paste, small rearing tank, small air pump and air line.

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 11:49am
I think mine have been laying constantly for like 15 years. They just never stop. Frisky little couple :-)
Feist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 5:01am
Any update? I'd love online bingo to see some pics of the babies.

Edited by Feist - June 04 2018 at 12:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic