Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High mag
    Posted: July 30 2017 at 11:05am
Hi all, a little bit bit my tank. Started first of April, 150 DT with aprox. 40 gallon sump. Running skimmer and carbon with chaeto in sump. AI sol lights. First couple months I dialed in my alk, cal, mg. Had it perfect, so I thought. Ran out of test reagent (red sea) so I ordered new test kits. My mg. went to 1600, cal went to 480 and alk stayed about the same 7.4. I have tried to get alk higher but am holding off on adding anything right now. I have been doing 30 gallin wc every three weeks, should I just continue this until it eventually comes down, or do much bigger wc quick? Fish look fine, corals look a little faded in color, and don't seem to be growing much. Salinity is pretty stable at 1.025, ph is 7.8. Temp at 78.4. I realize tank is still fairly new, Any suggestions on my next move? I can add pictures if that helps

Edited by Scottyb - July 30 2017 at 11:06am
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 1:27pm
I would allow the tank to bring those down by them being used. I don't think either number is to high to worry about personally.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 5:02pm
Ok, thanks. That's what I was wondering. I'll continue doing normal wcs
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 6:53pm
I agree, none of those readings are anything to worry about.

As far as what to do, I would dose Alk only and not dose Ca and Mg. This will allow the Alk to rise and subsequently allow Ca and Mg to fall a little, putting things in better balance. 

Are you aware of the acceptable ranges for these three components? 

Has Coralline Algae started to grow yet? Coralline eats Mg faster than coral.

Yes, post some pics, just in case there is something we might catch before it becomes a problem.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 7:00pm
I am aware of where I want these numbers...cal 420, mg 1350, alk 7.8 to 8.1? But not quite sure at what point I am doing damage. Thanks, I will raise my alk and post pucs later tonight

Edited by Scottyb - July 30 2017 at 7:01pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 8:24pm
The acceptable ranges for those three parameters are what I was referring to. Since each tank is it's own unique biological ecosystem we speak of ranges, not ideals or even desired points.

The acceptable range for Alk can be anywhere between 7 and 12 dKH. For Ca it can be acceptable anywhere between 350 and 600 ppm and Mg doesn't hurt anything if it lies somewhere between 1200 and 1600 ppm.

It can be dangerous to "chase numbers", meaning that trying to maintain a desired target level can actually harm the natural inclination of the biological system. Continual dosing might seem to be ineffective for a while, but then it's like all that chemical was held in a complicated, unseen reservoir where the dam suddenly broke and released it's contents. When that happens, a parameter shoots through the roof and the consequences/repercussions can be disastrous. 

Let me explain it further. Each tank has it's own "buffering" system that operates in the sand, rock and water.  Each aquarium also has it's own unique level of parameter equilibrium. For example, when Alkalinity is eaten by coral, snails, other inverts and even fish, to build their skeletons/shells/exoskeletons, it is taken/reduced from the water. When Alk concentration in the water falls just a fraction below the equilibrium level, the system responds immediately by releasing Alkalinity from the reservoir. The same process operates for other components like Ca, Mg, etc.

A very beautiful, very mature reef aquarium I work on and recently posted pictures of here has an Alk equilibrium level of about 7.4

You may be wondering, "if the sand and rock release upon demand, why dose anything at all?" The answer is that in our small aquariums(relative to the ocean), the reservoir or buffering system cannot deliver large amounts over a long period of time.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing pics of the tank.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 1:22pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 2:53pm
Awesome. Thumbs Up
Way cool to have a fish room.
Do I see a Yellow Tang?
I'm probably coming up your way next week. I'd be happy to bring you some free stuff to make that Tang happier and healthier and accelerate the maturation of your tank. I could also bring some nice coral too. Not just frags but full size soft coral on lively LR.

Let me know.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 3:00pm
I know some people will raise their mag to above 1600 to battle bryopsis.
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 4:05pm
Yes a yellow tang, 2 snowflake clowns and a green chromis. That would be great Mark, if you're up this way let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic