Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sump overfilling has me puzzled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sump overfilling has me puzzled
    Posted: July 30 2017 at 11:38pm
Hey all
Im a bit confused with whats happening in my sump maybe someone has some advice.
Been running my tank for 20 years with no issues of overflow in my sump. Recently my water level keeps rising above the auto top off float. I figured the float was bad since it was old so I replaced it with a new one same thing it keeps happening it keeps filling past the float level and will over a period of days top out my sump. I dont think the valve is letting in water as it looks and seems to be functioning properly.
So Im at a loss to whats happening. Any suggestions to check or theories would be great.

Thanks
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 9:47am
Turn off the water to the float valve and see if the water still rises. 

Is this a manual float connected to the RO unit or does the float operate an electric solenoid that opens and closes?

The RO unit has an auto shut-off valve which may be defective allowing full city water pressure to push at the valve, which then leaks as it wasn't made to handle +60 psi

Feel free to text/call to walk through the solution and even see if I can visit to check it out.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 11:26am
Have you ruled out that your return is pumping slower or that your drain lines are working properly? I had a drain line cause that very issue with my system. It caused water to hold excessively in the tank and randomly it would fill my sump beyond capacity. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 11:42am
Im trying a different float now and it seems to be holding the level. We'll see there.
Also Marcoss I have thought about your option too. I did change the height of my Durso overflow or what ever you call it. I will check into that to.
Stay tuned.

Mark Im ready for the green softy!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 3:16pm
Still have it for you. I'd like to do trade and cash for a Prime HD when you have one.
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 10:55pm
well 3rd float valves a charm. the 2 kent ones wouldnt work and one was new. tried a brs one and rock solid works like a charm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 9:57am
Great. 
I still recommend checking the Auto-Shut-Off Valve at the RO Unit. As you may know, the purpose of the Auto-Shut-Off Valve is to decrease the pressure at the ATO Valve so it operates better and longer. ATO valves will fail too soon when they have to hold back 60 psi rather than ~12 psi. If you want, I can check it for you and install a new Auto Shut-Off Valve if needed. I'll be back up north next week.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 12:33pm
Don't even think it has an auto shut off valve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic