Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bleached anemone recovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleached anemone recovery
    Posted: August 06 2017 at 3:59pm
Found this guy last niģht and has already pick mine up. He is for sale for what I paid for him $50. About the size of a 50 cent piece piece.

Come and get him....wont last long.

Text is best 385 722 7583

Edited by chuckfu5 - August 17 2017 at 11:11am
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 5:20pm
Isn't a white anemone just one that has bleached?
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 6:02pm
Here's the guy that they said he split from. Looked just like this one.

jungleboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungleboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 7:09pm
Looks like it’s bleached to me, but I’m no expert on anemones. However I do know that they will sometimes split under extreme stress to try and increase their chances of survival.
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 8:48am
That definitely looks like a bleached rose bubble tip to me.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 4:09pm
Me too.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 9:41am
That looks exactly like the tiny one that split off my rbta.
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 11:07am
Looking at him closely he is a very light green with stripes and bright pink tips. I've had him two days and he eats very well. 1/2 piece of krill both nights.

I don't think he is bleached but who knows. I may end of keep g just to see what he grows out to look like.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 1:25pm
In fact we do know a lot about anemones. We know that the more light an individual receives, the more it colors up, albeit not too quickly. These things can often take many months to correct themselves. Conversely, the more out of whack the water parameters, the more stressed an anemone can become and the more likely it is to expel its colorful symbiotic zooxanthellae algae. This stress response occurs when the water becomes too warm, pollution levels rise and/or when irritating toxins are present in their water.

Recall what we saw in the film, Chasing Coral. An anemone is basically a large coral polyp. It is harmed by the same things that the film showed are harming coral.

Over the years we have seen all kinds of white coral turn brown as zooxanthellae algae repopulates it. We have seen it take a year for that "browned out" coral to return to it's original colors, if it ever does. 

We have seen fluorescent yellow anemones, fluorescent pink anemones and pink coral sold at exorbitant price to unsuspecting hobbyists, only to hear a few months later that the coral lost its artificial color as the dye faded away. Sometimes we later hear of the eventual death of that dyed anemone or coral. Ouch

Hopefully that little anemone will live forever. I would recommend not feeding it at all. Without much zooxanthellae it is not as healthy as it could otherwise be. It will have a hard time digesting and absorbing meat. normally, an anemone gets all it needs by absorbing nutrients from the water and from the byproducts of the properly illuminated Zooxanthellae in its tissue.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Out of my old files, I dug up this example

chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 2:29pm

If a Mod could move this to General discussion thread as this is no longer for sale.

A week photo later.

I've been feeding it eod a small piece of krill.

I swear this thing is blue / greenish / blue with purple tips now.

Anyone want to chime in with what it looks like to them or thoughts.

Previous photo and this were taken at same time of day with same phone.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 3:19pm
I'm not familiar with nems at all, however, I find that one very pretty.

Also- to those that say it's bleached. Since a nem has a foot and is notorious for moving around- why doesn't it move to an area with better parameters? Mine moved around until it found a spot that caused it to grow and get massive.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

I'm not familiar with nems at all, however, I find that one very pretty.

Also- to those that say it's bleached. Since a nem has a foot and is notorious for moving around- why doesn't it move to an area with better parameters? Mine moved around until it found a spot that caused it to grow and get massive.

It could have been the tank conditions it came from. It is bleached and over time you will start to see more color just like you are now in the more recent photo. Some take a really long time to regain their full color. Also they are kind of dumb sometimes and if the light is too bright they will go behind things and then they bleach then too as they aren't getting enough light
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 5:58pm
I agree with Jackie. 

Also, though they have general characteristics in common with other anemones and with all coral polyps, each anemone is an individual that responds to stress in it's own way.

I still believe that feeding shrimp to this BTA is not a good thing at this point in it's recovery process. Instead, try a couple pellets or flakes. A person that used to live in South Weber, was very active on this forum and was in the WMAS Presidency a few years ago had good experience with healing sick and damaged coral. She even put together a web page about it. Her forum name is ReefdUp. Here is her main Coral Rescue thread: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56396

ReefdUp told us that she feeds fish food pellets to sick LPS coral because the pellets are easier for the coral to digest. Only later on when the coral is healthy would she sometimes feed a few tiny bits of meat. 

Coral and anemones typically get their nutrients from the water and from their Zooxanthellae Algae. To make food for their host, Zooxanthellae use light energy to convert nutrients that they absorb from the water and waste from their host.

Ahh, found it. Nikki's website, coral rescue page: http://www.reefdup.com/rescue-corals/

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I agree with Jackie. 

Also, though they have general characteristics in common with other anemones and with all coral polyps, each anemone is an individual that responds to stress in it's own way.

I still believe that feeding shrimp to this BTA is not a good thing at this point in it's recovery process. Instead, try a couple pellets or flakes. A person that used to live in South Weber, was very active on this forum and was in the WMAS Presidency a few years ago had good experience with healing sick and damaged coral. She even put together a web page about it. Her forum name is ReefdUp. Here is her main Coral Rescue thread: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56396

ReefdUp told us that she feeds fish food pellets to sick LPS coral because the pellets are easier for the coral to digest. Only later on when the coral is healthy would she sometimes feed a few tiny bits of meat. 

Coral and anemones typically get their nutrients from the water and from their Zooxanthellae Algae. To make food for their host, Zooxanthellae use light energy to convert nutrients that they absorb from the water and waste from their host.

Ahh, found it. Nikki's website, coral rescue page: http://www.reefdup.com/rescue-corals/

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

I do not believe I should not be feeding this anemone. For one reason if it is bleached it has no zooxanthlee algae for it to get its energy from, this the need for small feedings.

Edited by chuckfu5 - August 12 2017 at 9:05pm
MasterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 7:44pm
50 bucks for a bleached bubble tip is a rip off
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 7:50pm
This was very insightful MasterJ.. He asked to move this to general discussion. I assume he isn't intending on selling it now that everyone seems to agree it is bleached.
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Zack801 Zack801 wrote:

This was very insightful MasterJ.. He asked to move this to general discussion. I assume he isn't intending on selling it now that everyone seems to agree it is bleached.

Thanks for reading the entire ad and THEN commenting unlike others.
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 10:38am
Looking around last night...hopefully turns out this color.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by chuckfu5 chuckfu5 wrote:

...if it is bleached it has no zooxanthlee algae for it to get its energy from....
Yes, I agree, somewhat. I believe that the slight color it is fluorescing indicates that it has some Zooxanthellae. To be sure we would need to cut off a tentacle, dissect it and view the flesh under a microscope. Of course that is not such a good idea. Ermm 

If we are in agreement that it's low on energy, why not help it conserve energy by feeding it easily digestible pellet food as Nikki does when rescuing coral? 

Also, since it also absorbs nutrients from the water, allowing decent amounts of Nitrogen and Phosphorous compounds to exist in the water would probably help it's recovery. Anemones are not the type of animals that like pristine/zero pollution water conditions. What I'm suggesting may be going a little overboard, but if it were me, I'd probably turn off the skimmer and remove any AA or GFO phosphate removal media for a while to see if that also helps it recover.

Just my 2 cents.
By the way, I think it's really awesome that we are having this open discussion.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 11:16am
I've been reading a lot about bleached anemones and the recovery process.

A lot of people say to feed it small pieces of krill, shrimp even cut off tentacles of a healthy anemone. Javent got there yet but maybe I'll try it soon. Anyways it continues to look better and grow and the clowns have started hosting in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic