Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CAN I USE SAND FROM THE GSL?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAN I USE SAND FROM THE GSL?
    Posted: September 24 2005 at 1:39pm
i have about 20 pounds of Live sand in my 55 gallon. and was wondering if you can use some sand from the great salt lake? i know that you would have to clean it good.Has anybody ever added a little bit to there salt water tanks?
SandRider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 5:40pm
Check this link out

Ray
65g Reef
Layton
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 10:25pm
can someone give me good directions on where to get that oolitic sand? i wanna go early tomorrow.thanks
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 11:12pm
Check out the link that SandRider posted- Mark has some great instructions in that post on where to go for the sand, and even pictures to help!
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 2:13pm

And I always have a barrel of it at my place.

This link may help you understand Oolitic sand:

http://geology.utah.gov/utahgeo/rockmineral/collecting/oolit ic.htm 

The location that link refers to was exactly on the other side of the road from where we now collect. A football sized area of sand dunes was removed, probably by Broken Arrow Salt. I drove out there one day and it was gone. It felt like an episode of Star Trek TNG where the Cystalline Entity removed a city and left a hole.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 2:52pm
Just make sure you get the Oolitic sand and not just beach sand.  Also don't collect from any of the public beaches on the GSL.  Much of that sand was trucked in and is therefore illegal to collect.  The stuff Mark collects is not anywhere near waters edge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic