Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White spots on Green Montipora

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White spots on Green Montipora
    Posted: August 23 2017 at 1:54pm
Hey Guys,

What would / could be causing this?

Alk 8.4
Mag 1400
Cal
Nitrates 5 - 6
Phos .02

It's still growing like a weed but I love my green color. Also I've lost all my green color in my grafted monti.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 2:35pm
It looks like it in the bottom. In my caps, sometime dentritis, sand or something solid will settle in the bottom "bowl". When I blow it out with a turkey baster or something blows off the cap it look like that.

Another thought, what kind of lights do you have and if they're T5s or halides, how old are the bulbs?

Edited by Hogie - August 23 2017 at 2:37pm
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 2:54pm
LEDS.

I thought I read somewhere that faded green indicated low iron. I don't have an iron test kit but have been dosing the Red Sea Reef colors the last week based off of calcium absorption so I'll wait and see.

Thanks for the idea though.
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 8:46pm
Someone on reef2reef mentioned nudibranch's....i haven't seen anything eating them and the spots don't seem to be getting bigger. I've had that problem with empty snail shells falling in the bottom and sand and don't remember if there were spots or not. If that was the case would the (bleached) area eventually color back up?

Now I'm scared....how big are these nudis?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 8:05am
I don't see evidence of a low iron problem.
Yes, the coral can regrow/regain color, but...answers to the questions below will help track down the problem:

- I know it's hard to tell without removing the coral and examining it with a magnifying glass, but are those white spots merely bleached or has the flesh of this Montipora actually been eaten away?

- What about the red Montipora, partially seen in the pic, are those coral showing similar signs?

- Are any other coral in the tank showing unusual signs?

- Is there an Angelfish, a Blenny or possibly a Damsel in this tank? What kind?

- Is that an anemone to the left, next to various Zoanthids? Did it go on a "walkabout" and sting the green Monti?

- Hogie asked but I didn't see an answer, Did detritus settle and then recently get removed from the bottom of the Monti cup? This would be a separate issue from the white spots up the slope.

- One important parameter not given above is temperature. More specific to this small tank which, when I visited a few months ago, was located on the kitchen counter, What is the daily temperature high point and about how long does that temperature last?

Lastly, I don't quite understand this comment found at the very last of the OP, please explain,
"It's still growing like a weed but I love my green color. Also I've lost all my green color in my grafted monti." 

Looking forward to reading the answers and helping you find a solution. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 9:50am
Alright....Mark you and your lengthy questions

Can't tell....Ill try and look when lights come one.

It's a grafted piece that the green has been fading but not showing any spots like the green.

No other coral acting unusual.

There is a bicolor blenny in the tank along with three sexy shrimp.

Anemone has not moved. It was added at your suggestion to help calm the evil female clown down....which has somewhat helped.

Thought I answered hogies question but yes absolutely debris has settled before. Not so much since I added the jebao powerhead.

It stays fairly consistent around 77 - 78.

I think I already explained this with the grafted Monti. It was a beautiful green / red but the green has fadded not turned white.

Also after lights out I searched high and low for any nudi s anywhere on the Monti or rockwork and saw none. Also I can see under a good portion of it and could not see any egg sacs or any signs of pests.

I'll look a little closer when lights come on to see if flesh appears chewed off or if it's bleached.

If it is nudi s would I visibly be able to see these with my naked eye and what would they look like?

Also I have 2 grafted Monti pieces and a purple that are showing no signs of any white spots besides the grafted green that appears to be lightening up....it may be me also just being paranoid about the grafted pieces.

Thanks Mark!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 8:46am
I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the Bicolor Blenny is the culprit. In fact that is what I thought when I first examined the picture. I ask all the questions to make sure I don't misdiagnose. Blennies of that sort are major herbivores. They need to eat algae. Your Bicolor sees the green Monti with it's Zooxanthellae Algae and thinks, "Hmmm, tasty."

Thanks for being such a sport to answer my barrage of questions. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Grafting is a funny term, in my opinion. When any two coral are placed where they are touching each another, they make a choice, whether to fight and kill the other, whether to grow around the other or whether to share and become one. If they take the latter choice, the characteristics of each coral merge together. Unfortunately for color lovers, the dominant characteristics of one coral often take over the other coral until the beautiful rainbow changes to monotone.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 8:56am
Oh, sorry. The solution, in my book, is either to provide live algae and food with algae (Emerald Entree, Rods Herbivore and LRS Herbivore foods) for the Blenny, hoping that stops the problem or just remove the Blenny altogether.

Keeping a tank too clean is what typically leads to coral being eaten by fish. It's not a bad idea to allow a low level of phosphate and even some Nitrogen compounds to remain in the water so that soft algae can grow on surfaces and thus feed the fun and beautiful herbivorous fishies.

Hope this helps.
Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic