Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - October Meeting 10/5 - Reef Pests W/Marc Levenson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October Meeting 10/5 - Reef Pests W/Marc Levenson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 11:54am
I'm planning on going to the meeting, and am excited to see who is in the club now. Its been over a decade since I've been to an event.

Quick question, how long is the meeting, and is the venue wheelchair accessible? I have a walker but more than a couple stairs will put the brakes on my plans.
60g LPS Cube
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by shaggydoo shaggydoo wrote:

I'm planning on going to the meeting, and am excited to see who is in the club now. Its been over a decade since I've been to an event.

Quick question, how long is the meeting, and is the venue wheelchair accessible? I have a walker but more than a couple stairs will put the brakes on my plans.

Great to have you back!

I believe the building is fully accessible
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
Wrogers View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 7:14am
Well how was it??? Sorry I missed this one..Unhappy
William Rogers
shaggydoo View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 8:10am
I thought it was great! Very informative and entertaining. It also seemed to be a fairly good turnout.
60g LPS Cube
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 8:53am
Hands down one of my favorite meetings. Marc was great at MACNA and he didn't disappoint here locally either. Very personable and willing to talk to anyone who asked. He had so much info that we let him run over and then went to dinner after. We will have him back for sure.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:15am
I had the good fortune to be able to hang out with Marc once he flew in.  He is a great guy, lots of fun.  We showed him some local tanks and took him to Rusty's Reefs and Lonestar for tacos.  Was a good day.  

We sold 12 memberships last night, 11 I think were new which is really exciting.  I love meeting new people and really appreciate them coming out and checking us out.  So happy to continue building our member base.  Adding in additional experience builds our overall knowledge base and makes us better.  

Theresa outdid herself on snacks for the meeting!

Marc was great, very entertaining. I learned a lot last night.  

The raffles were fun, I loved the enthusiasm for Macna and really hope to see a HUGE WMAS presence Macna next year.

Having both Reef Kingdom and Reef Dynasty selling coral was really cool too.  They always seemed to have a crowd around them.  

It was a lot of fun.  I will try to get some pictures in later, Bob took a lot.  I really enjoy last night and it was great seeing everyone.  

Wrogers we even had your name on the presentation!  

Thanks everyone for your continued support of the club!  If you have any suggestions to improve our meetings let me know.  
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 9:13pm
OCTOBER MEETING RECAP:

Sorry that this recap is a few days late... but, if you were there, you already got the scoop! And if you weren't there... no amount of words or pictures is going to do it justice...

One word = AWESOME!!!

Advance word was that this was going to be one of the premiere Club meetings of the year - and it didn't disappoint Clap

Meeting started about 7:15, by the time the crowd all got settled into there seats. Most of the WMAS Presidency was busy meeting & greeting and getting all the new Paid Members signed up (!)
This month we ran a special promotion... join and get the rest of 2017 and ALL of 2018 as a Paid member for the usual single-year price... AND you got yourself an additional 5 FREE Raffle Tickets for the big raffle!

Pretty sweet deal... and we signed up at least 11 brand new Paid Members!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I noted before, most of the Presidency was busy doing something useful... Wink

Jon, Jeff & Dave started things off with a warm welcome - and updates on recent Club
activities like our Frag Grow - Out Contest results Star

They also gave a shout all to all the sponsors who helped bring Melev out to Utah
and / or donated prizes for the Raffle...

Spent a little time talking about the upcoming Reef Tour on November 4th
DON'T MISS IT!!!

Then it was time for Marc to do his thing!

A truly AWESOME presentation; full of facts, fun, personal stories covering Marc's over 20 years
of "Melev's Reef"... there was something to learn for every member of the audience!

"Good" pests, "Bad" pests... how to truly and effectively get rid of the ones you don't want

The audience was glued to their seats! (Except when we had to trot over to the refreshment table!)

Dozens (maybe a hundred?) of slides, topics and sub-topics... Marc laid it all out in plain
English, so that even the newbies to the hobby could understand and learn

Then it was Halftime... or should I say, CORAL TIME!!! Clap

Both Dave (from Reef Kingdom) and Skyler (Reef Legends) really brought the heat!!!

When we advertised HUNDREDS of frags to choose from... WE WEREN'T KIDDING!!!

Our Members and Guests got to cherry - pick their choices at special Club Meeting prices Shocked

Did I mention we had TWO Coral Vendors and literally HUNDREDS OF FRAGS FOR SALE???!!!

Prior to the second half of Marc's presentation, we held the Raffle (!!!)
Must have gave away 25 prizes in all! T-Shirts, Gift Cards, Coral Dips, BENEREEF Coral Food, a bunch of MACNA swag...

And then the GRAND PRIZE = 2 Full Paid 3 -Day Passes for MACNA 2018 in Las Vegas! ShockedShockedShocked

And here is the lucky winner! She and her Dad ('Achilles Tang' on the Forum) are going to MACNA!!!

After all that excitement, it was time to once again yield the floor to Marc.

He still had a TON of info to go over!

Marc had so much to share that we actually ended up going over the usual 8:30 PM end time by
almost an hour!

Wrapping up,  Marc and WMAS President Jon Dinchak thanked the crowd and reminded everyone
that next month we have FRAGSTOCK!!!

After the meeting, a bunch of Club Members went over to the Dodo Restaurant in Sugarhouse and
had a great dinner with the one & only Marc Levenson!

How's THAT for an awesome end to an awesome meeting???!!!

If you missed it..?

Well, next month (November 2nd) is the return of FRAGSTOCK - so make sure you make it out!!!

Edited by BobC63 - October 09 2017 at 9:14pm
- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 9:23pm
Great recap!
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
BenchsTanks View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenchsTanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 8:19pm
Where can I buy tickets to MACNA 2018? Do I get them from this site or is there a coupon that save money that you have to purchase?

Thank you
Bryan
801-598-34374
400 Gal Island Mix Reef
20 Gal Wall Tank Mix Reef
14 Gal Bio Cube Mix Reef
PADI Dive Master
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by BenchsTanks BenchsTanks wrote:

Where can I buy tickets to MACNA 2018? Do I get them from this site or is there a coupon that save money that you have to purchase?

Thank you
Bryan
801-598-34374

Bryan, your account didn't link up correctly.  I fixed so you now have your Paid Member Forum Access.  The coupon code is in that thread on this forum.

To buy tickets you go to Macna website

http://macnaconference.org/2018/
Reef Tour (11/4)

Holiday Potluck (12/7)
phys View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 9:50pm
Looks like I missed out! :(
sabeypets View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 9:54pm
You have to buy tickets directly from the MACNA 18 site.

Edited by sabeypets - October 12 2017 at 9:55pm
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic