Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAQ Section???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAQ Section???
    Posted: July 30 2003 at 2:24pm
I wanted to get some feedback about the popularity of an FAQ section on this message board. It would be a permanent thread that always stays at the top of the board for Frequently Asked Questions about hot topics such as: Oolitic Sand, Aragonite Rock, Home Depot Refugium Lights, etc... These are issues that are brought up fairly frequently. I think something like this would be a great place for these issues. This way, there could be a place for directions to certain places easily accessible to people who want them, etc. I just think it might be a nice thing to have, to avoid arguments being dug up, and re-hashed every week when someone asks for directions, etc. Maybe we could even post a permanent Pro's Con's list from both sides of these types of "ideas," and make it a closed thread to avoid future argument... It might be nice, especially to post the WMAS' position that it does not endorse anything in the FAQ section, but that they are merely ideas from members of the club.

Sorry for rambling. Just a thought.
If you don't want to make any "official comment," you can simply select one of the following emoticons ( ) by pressing "More" at the bottom of the emoticons to the left of the message field.   

Edited by Ryan Willden
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 7:02pm
I think it COULD be a good thing as long as it was kept to facts and not opinions. I am only bringing this up since you used it as an example. Take for instance the sand. We could put directions to it on the thread but not whether it is good or not. Hence, the direction is a fact and the quality is an opinion. Just a thought. What do you think?

Edited by Marcus
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 8:10pm
I agree
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

I think it COULD be a good thing as long as it was kept to facts and not opinions. I am only bringing this up since you used it as an example. Take for instance the sand. We could put directions to it on the thread but not whether it is good or not. Hence, the direction is a fact and the quality is an opinion. Just a thought. What do you think?

I somewhat disagree. Without both points about whether it may be good or bad, how can one decide for oneself if they think it is right for them or not. I think the opinions of both sides of any "fence" (so to speak) should be given the opportunity to express their point of view. I just think there could be negative side effects to the club, and it's current/future members by "re-hashing" issues in a public forum where both sides have been given ample opportunity to make their points. Feelings are easily hurt, and not necessary. I'm not just referring to the Oolitic Issue, or the Aragonite issues here. Nor am I in any way pointing fingers. My goal is to take the position of being on the fence, and not on one side or the other of any debate on this board. There's nothing in this for me, just an idea to help neautralize issues in general, and give people that are looking for these issues a "quick point of access" to the information they need.

I do think it would be good for people to see both points of any "idea." Then, they are able to make an informed decision for themselves, (without being overwhelmed by two different "sides" trying to force their points down their throats. Trust me, I have been guilty of this offense as well. ) I think it needs to be kept as neutral as possible.

This is just a suggestion, but it's open for discussion... Obviously.

I just want to clarify that if this idea ever comes to play, that in bold print it should be stated that the views expressed are not those of the WMAS, nor is it an endorsement of any kind. I think this is the point you are getting at Marcus? Am I right?

Edited by Ryan Willden
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 10:49pm
Well, uumm... Your topic on this thread is "FAQ Section" which is why I think, if a new section is created, that it should be kept to FACTS and not opinions. I just do not want to get into a debate again on ANY topic. I think that it would take forever to create a pro/con list for everything that we talk about here. As for your last statement about this being WMAS opinions, well this is the club's forum, therefore these ARE the opinions of the WMAS and should be stated as such. Maybe I didn't understand your question. If someone wants to decide for themselves, then they could ask another member who they trust. I do not think there is an easy way to settle such issues that have been debated so heavily. I agree that it could hurt members and/or WMAS if "re-hashing" happens and I do not think you are pointing fingers at all. I understand the point that you are making, I just see it from another angle, that's all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

Well, uumm... Your topic on this thread is "FAQ Section" which is why I think, if a new section is created, that it should be kept to FACTS and not opinions. I just do not want to get into a debate again on ANY topic. I think that it would take forever to create a pro/con list for everything that we talk about here. As for your last statement about this being WMAS opinions, well this is the club's forum, therefore these ARE the opinions of the WMAS and should be stated as such. Maybe I didn't understand your question. If someone wants to decide for themselves, then they could ask another member who they trust. I do not think there is an easy way to settle such issues that have been debated so heavily. I agree that it could hurt members and/or WMAS if "re-hashing" happens and I do not think you are pointing fingers at all. I understand the point that you are making, I just see it from another angle, that's all.

You should try to be a little more open minded. However, you're entitled to your OPINION. I should mention though, that FAQ stands for FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (Not Factually Answered Questions,) and one of the most commonly asked questions on this board is :What the crap is this Oolitic sand stuff, and where do I find it? Then every time that question is asked, someone chimes in with a "This is my take on the oolitic issue comment," and all hell breaks loose again.

An FAQ section would provide an unbiased way of presenting where to get it, and why some people use/like it and some don't, and THOSE are the Facts.

I think you have made your point well, however if you'd like to discuss the details further, I'd prefer you PM me.

Thanks.

Edited by Ryan Willden
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 6:04pm
I like the idea of the FAQ page not being a thread. I think it would be a better page along with all the other pages to the left <----
I'm all for it, if someone wants to start writing Q's and A's and send them to me sometime, I'll review it, and we'll add it to the site.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I like the idea of the FAQ page not being a thread. I think it would be a better page along with all the other pages to the left <----
I'm all for it, if someone wants to start writing Q's and A's and send them to me sometime, I'll review it, and we'll add it to the site.

Adam

I agree. that would be a perfect place for it, and more easily accesible to everyone. Good call. In a case like that however, where it's an actual link, I think directions only should be listed, and not pro's and con's like Marcus suggested.

I think you meant to the left of the Main page right? By TOTM?

Edited by Ryan Willden

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 1:12pm
I guess the truth is that any of the above mentioned issues are probably topics that will be discussed on this board for a long time to come, regardless of an FAQ section. I suppose it's not worth it.

Edited by Ryan Willden
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 2:29pm

sorry... i had to change login names, but being very new to WMAS ( i'll keep the abbreviations to a minimum <grin>) and the hobby in general i think a FAQ is a great idea.

Personally i would like to see a section on
Utah specific topics! I would love to see a pros/cons/unknowns for oolitic sand, aragonite rock, and brine shrimp ... maybe along with maps, pictures, tank pictures, etc. ( To me that is what a FAQ is all about ) -- if i had a basic starting point to begin looking at some of these topics i would be much more interested. it sounds like a very fun experiment to setup a 'Utah' tank, but the most interesting threads on these topics seem to get bogged down in debate. Hey, it might even be a cool 'Reef Tour' attraction to show off what we have in our own back yard!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 9:35pm
That's the spirit!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic