Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked skimmer body?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked skimmer body?
    Posted: October 06 2017 at 6:00pm
So I bought a used skimmer on eBay. Received today and there is a crack where the pump goes. My question is will this affect the performance and if so how much? I added some water to see if it holds but it does leak out a little. The seller said they can refund all info return it or refund 50 and I can try to fix it. I'd just like some opinions on what I should do. Thanks!

Edited by Zack801 - October 06 2017 at 6:01pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 6:11pm
Buy some weld-on 16 and put it on the crack. It will seal it and should be just fine. I'm guessing it's not a big crack or you wouldn't even ask if it was worth trying. Lol
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 6:15pm
Lol well I'm just not familiar enough with skimmers to know whether it will affect performance much. One thing I noticed is it seems to leak around the base as well. There isn't a deal or gasket it's just plastic on plastic so should that even matter?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 6:22pm
I’m with Krazie and think you are fine. I ran the same skimmer (I assume a Vertext) and even that red piece that ties to the pump leaked. It’s not a leak proof assembly since it’s under water. I think if it leaks then you’ll have it deeper in the water.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 6:24pm
Ok I'll try it out. The seller offered to refund part of it so I think it's a decent deal if you guys think it'll work fine.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 7:37pm
Take Jeff's (Krazie4acans) advice.

Get the Weld On glue and apply. This is not just to help seal; it will also help to prevent that crack from growing.

As far as being 'leak-proof' - doesn't need to be water tight as the skimmer sits in the water.

Take the $50 refund and spend 10 on the Weld On and pocket the other 40

You'll be fine
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 12:10am
I concur with the others' suggestions... lol
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 10:42am
Thank you all for your replies I'll be picking up some weld on Monday when delvies opens!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic