Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Every freaking time...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Every freaking time...
    Posted: October 07 2017 at 10:30pm
Every time I shut my system down to do a water change my return pump decides to be a chump and not turn back on. Every freaking time! I take it out, clean it, run it through some fresh water and it's like "hey! I like this water!" I get happy that it works and plug it back in. To my dismay and frustration it hates the salt water and churns and gurgles as I stand over it and yell at it to just suck up the bubbles and the water will show up in seconds if it just does it's job like it did in the freshy bucket. Guys, I'm exhausted. My feet are swollen and hurt, my back aches and 'm working on 4 hrs of sleep with a husband who just had surgery two days ago. What am I missing? 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 11:01pm
I had this issue with an old mag 7. It was chipped where the impeller sits on one end so if it wasn't centered, it didn't start. I used a glue gun to fix it until I could get a replacement.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 2:24pm
What brand and model is this return pump?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 4:03pm
Rio 10HF
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 8:42pm
Rios can be a bit of a pain for that... sometimes you just need to start the propeller moving for it.. I think the magnets in the pump are separated a little too wide for it to catch the rotation and just wiggles back and forth. 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 9:50pm
I too know this feeling! That's a good reminder that I should get a backup return pump sometime.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 10:17pm
Ah yes, Rio. Wacko 
What I do with Rio pumps is to rapidly touch, remove and retouch the plug into the outlet. The quick power on-off-on sometimes starts the pump the first time. After it starts running push the plug all the way into the outlet. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 on-off-on cycles. 

If that doesn't work, depending on the age of the pump body, I either buy a new impeller for $30 or buy a new pump. The Danner Mag Drive 7 pump has comparable flow to the Rio 10HF, but is much more reliable. It's about $85 and the impeller is only $16. IMO, the best value.

Of course there are the more expensive DC pumps. The Jebao DC 3000 has comparable flow but it's $120, $35 more than the Mag 7. Also, the DC 3000 impeller, at $50, is ridiculously expensive.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 1:33am
Well Mark, I tried your way. No sound whatsoever is coming out of it now. The impeller isn't kicking in at all. I went online to Amazon to see how much a new impeller cost. Guess what? I bought a replacement impeller last December. I'm not to happy about having a Rio now. I'll be looking for a new RP. I can't have this happening frequently, I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not my RP is going to turn back on. This shouldn't be this much of an issue, EVERYONE does water changes (from time to time at the very least).  
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 1:55am
Hey, you can check out the jebao... theyre pretty cheap these days and mine is working well so far... *knock on wood* lol
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 7:34am
Definitely time to buy a new pump. The worst thing is that a return pump that fails to turn back on after a power outage while you are away can lead to a tank crash. Hopefully, there is a separate circulation pump in the display. Do I remember correctly that the last time this happened, the Refugium crashed?

Sorry for your trouble and best wishes for your husbands recovery.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:30am
The refuge didn't have a separate pump for it alone. I learned the hard way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic