Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acans receding??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acans receding??
    Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:20pm
Hey all,

Over the last week or so I've noticed my acans receding while everything else in the tank looked ok.... All of my parameters look good except i just opened a new bottle of hannah alk reagent and when I'm usually around 150-160ppm (last time i checked was 10/8) today it showed 123ppm.. With everything else checking out would a drop like that really cause acans to recede? I guess it went from around 8.4dkh 9dkh to 7.06dkh when i measured today. Also how common is this for these reagent to be that far off? I had two new unopened bottles that i used to test today and both were very similar results. Even if the other bottle was giving inaccurate readings i would have kept my alk stable according to that for at least the last month or 2 so im not sure what else would be causing this issue. The only other major change was adding the file fish which i guess could be nipping them enough to make the recede? Zoas ive noticed are stretching when they normally aren't so im not really sure what's going on. Any suggestions are appreciated. The tank is about 65g total and im doing AWC again at about 1/2 gallon a day as well as about 10g change last week in addition to that.

Edited by Zack801 - October 09 2017 at 8:27pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:23pm
Pics?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:27pm
Have they been getting enough food? Do you target feed, broadcast feed?
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:29pm
Yeah i target feed probably more than is necessary... Reef roids and reef frenzy. Pretty much everything else looks ok though that duncan is usually never closed up like that. I have an octospawn pretty close to it that's doing just fine. 
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:31pm
If you feed them, they should be fine in stable water conditions. Test each test kit 3 times and average. When I test alkalinity I test 3 times and average.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:31pm
One last thing that's come to mind. PH is monitored by neptune probe and has been 8.5-8.7 though i haven't calibrated it in a few months. I do dose kalk through my ATO which could maybe be the cause of the higher ph but i've switched to just RO and manual alk dosing to see if it comes down. From what ive read it's pretty hard to get PH that high so it might just be the sensor is off
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:32pm
pH sounds good to me. Don't chase it
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:38pm
Yeah I don't do anything to change it other than dose kalk but the reason I do that is for calcium/alk... I've never monitored ph on my other tank and it does just fine
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:42pm
You have done well to identify some possible causes. 
Fish can be very particular, choosing to nip only at certain coral in the early dawn or when we aren't watching.
What about Phosphate? Has the level changed recently, like a new batch of media replacing the old media that had been saturated for a while?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:42pm
Was there a large swing in alkalinity, or was it just different results from different kits?
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:45pm
What about lighting? LEDs?
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 8:51pm
I would not say a large swing just different testing results from yesterday to today. So either ive been keeping alk around 7-8 or 8-9 (my target was 8-9 range). And also mark to your question i was just looking over my sump and i have hung some rowa phos in a bag within the last week or two. Not a lot but i measured phosphates with a hannah kit and got .08 and then the new red sea kit and got .02, same day within an hour of each other. Neither from what i can tell should be a concern though the lower level is what i aim for. And evan to your last question yes LED's two AI Prime. I acutally upped the intensity once i saw the zoas reaching but i only made that change midway through yesterday. The one thing with acans is i had a valentini puffer in my display and my single acan always showed skeleton and i had basically given up on it. I moved that same frag to my frag tank (the one with the issue currently) and within a month it puffed back up and looked better than it ever has. So im not sure what else to rule out other than the file fish unless you guys have any other ideas? 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 2:01am
I'll blame the file fish. 
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 8:32am
My recent experience with a yellow clown goby (supposedly a reef safe fish), tells me that acans can become too tasty for nearly any fish. Watch closely and you may see something biting, rubbing or otherwise disturbing your acans. The fish may bother the coral only rarely (mine does a grooming ritual every morning), but its enough to piss off the acan all day.
60g LPS Cube
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 8:36am
i had a problem with a couple of acan colonies that totally receded and died.  I've heard that they are very sensitive to phosphate.  I didn't check that parameter very frequently and found it to be extraordinarily high.  Once i got the phos in check, the new acan additions came to life.
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 9:02am
I think my first plan of action is to get that file fish down into the sump for a bit and see if that changes anything. My phosphates I think are acceptable currently but I do wonder if the rowa phos maybe removed too much too fast and caused some weirdness. I think the filefish is more likely but we will see
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic