Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

live rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monsterscuba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsterscuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: live rock
    Posted: October 27 2017 at 1:47pm
How long does it take, for dry rock to become live rock once put into a system?
No animals were harmed in this post, however a few billion electrons were slightly inconvenienced.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 2:08pm
The longer the more diversity will be on the rock. I've had worms, stars and pods move into dead rock within a few days, but sponges can take months. 
60g LPS Cube
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 3:28pm
I have no data to back it up but I think that it is common thought that rock will populate with bacteria in 4-6 weeks or so. I think that this is the point that it can be considered live because it can proccess the fish waste.
Live rock will also mature over several more months. This is why people say to wait for several months to add very sensitive corals, livestock and fish. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 5:38pm
That's a very good question.
My experience has gone short and long. Two months ago I added a piece of dry, dead, branch LR into a 5 year old system. The rock had been sitting outside for a year in the rain and snow. I hadn't paid much attention to it but just yesterday I happened to notice pink Coralline Algae was already starting to cover it. That means it took less than a month for it to start being populated by algae, bugs and worms. Of course this rate of growth is unusual, probably due to the maturity of the tank and the fact that Coralline Algae completely covers the back and sides of this old tank.

So it really depends on three variables; 1) the thickness and porosity of the rock, 2) its condition or where it's been since being left out to die, and 3) the maturity of the tank it's going into. 

I and others have had some that lingered on and on, leaching bad stuff into the tank and preventing coral from growing for almost a year. 

There is good news though. Read this thread, copied here from the Reefkeeping Tips (linked at the bottom of this post). Look for the part where I mention the product(s) that can shorten the cycle time for dry, dead LR. 

Can I use the dry rock and sand that came with this aquarium? http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41514

Hope that helps. I would also suggest finding someone in your area that can give you some Macroalgae from their Refugium. Macroalgae can shorten and even completely eliminate the time it takes to ready a tank for animals. But maybe you've already read about that in the Reefkeeping Tips threadSmile

"Keep your arms and hands in the tank and enjoy the ride." - L.A.Goon
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 7:58pm
I agree with Mark and just want to note that there are different degrees of live rock and some people only want the bacteria, and others, like me, want as much life as possible.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 9:52pm
My point being, there is no easy or perfect answer. But with detailed information, you can get a great answer from here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic