Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats kinda starfish can i get??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats kinda starfish can i get??
    Posted: September 28 2005 at 11:16pm
i wanna get a starfish like a linkia kind but iv'e heard too many things about them.What is the best starfish that you can get thats totaly reef safe?And that looks good
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 8:38am

Unless you like keeping things that die within 3-12 months don't do a Sea Star in a reef tank. BTW, a star is not a fish.

The Stars that do better are the ones usually kept in fish only tanks because they eat coral, clams, sponge and the same large chunks of meaty foods fed to the fish.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 8:53am
Mark, I have several stars that I have kept for over a year one is now two years. They have moved to a new tank with no problems. I have a purple linka, blue linkia, burgandy Linkia ( with 5 babies) , and another I really dont know the type. Why do you say they do not do well???  I have been wanting to get about 5 more. Oh, I almost for got, I have a huge black hairy one too... A surpent I think
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 8:55am

I agree with Connie.  I'd much rather keep a sea star in the reef tank than in the fish tank.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 8:56am
I really like my serpent stars.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 9:06am
Most people have dismal experiences with them. I agree that serpent and brittle stars are exceptions. Can we explore why some stars do better and what tank conditions make them successful? Connie...
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 9:14am
I have one of the orange type that is kind of thorny.  It only cost me $10 and I have had it well over a year.  It looks cool, doesn't hurt anything and is almost always in view.  I just don't know what it is called.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 11:01am

i want to get a blue linkia but how long should my tank be up before i get one?It's been up now for at least 6 months.

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 11:23am
The question Id ask is,   is it stable? Do you have at least one lbs of live rock per gallon? Is your tank at least 50 gallons.  If yes, I think you should be fine. The key to these is acclimation. Do a drip ONLY and for at least two hours. The fall apart if it is not done correctly so you will know within a week it you did not do it right..  Its yucky
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 12:06pm
my tank is a 55 gallon it's been up for 6 months i have around 45 pounds of live rock and i'm waiting to add 30 more pounds.Waiting cause it's being cured.How do you do the drip aclimation?????
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 12:24pm

Get a small air hose put one end in your tank and then the other end in a bucket. I have several valves that I think came with my power heads but I not sure. Id be happy to give you one. Twist it to adjust the amount of air and or water that passes thru.  You then adjust the drip coming out of the other end into the bucket at a drip    drip    drip. Not drip,drip,drip and not drip         &n bsp; drip           drip.  You then let it go, When it has been two hours you should have the container full and you stars ready to move...

If you dont have a valve, you can just tie a lose knot in the tubing and get the same effect, just not as controlled.

adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 12:41pm
dang that sound complicated can i just put the star in a bowl in the water that he came from and put a couple teaspoons at a time until the water matches and then throw him in my tank?
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 12:57pm
I would not, but Im sure stanger things have been done with success.  It really is not very hard once you get the hang of it.. 
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 1:02pm

do you have any marbel starfishes.i hear the easier than linkias to have

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 1:13pm
I'd also like to know what those red thorny ones are called. I had one for a
long time but it finally bit the dust. Actually, it became the dust. Anyway, I
want to replace him. I think Sea Stars are really hit and miss but then again,
so are fish. I had one linkia that didn't do well, I have another very large blue
linkia and so far it's doing great.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 1:19pm
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 1:20pm
IS THIS THE STAR FISH YOUR TALKING ABOUT?
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 1:33pm
yep that's it. I loved that guy.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 1:45pm
ya  i dont know the exact name but live aqaria calls it the red knob sea star.i've aslo heard of them being called thorn star.but a couple of places say there not reef safe but the store i got him from said that they are and i never had a problem with it eating any of my corals
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 2:02pm

Mine was eating a stolenifera coral in my tank.  I took him out because of it... now I wish I hadn't .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic