Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My wife bought a Clam!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My wife bought a Clam!
    Posted: November 28 2017 at 11:51am
Hey guys, my wife bought a Clam, black friday sale from live aquaria. It was without my knowledge. I have always avoided these because I hear they can be delicate and hard to keep. Having never cared for one, can you give me some tips or possible reading material that might help. I would like to do what I can to prepare and will be doing some research today. It will be here tomorrow!
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 12:17pm
Mine was not too difficult but it was 4" or so when I got it. You will want to watch you calcium because they can use up quite a bit of that stuff. 
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 1:40pm
Put it on the sand, high light.  They will eat some calcium/alk.  As long as its healthy, they are super easy.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 2:55pm
make sure you 'burp' it when you put it in the water. If they get air trapped inside the clam, it can kill it. Also, make sure you check it thoroughly for pyramid snails.

Here is an article on what to look for in clam health.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1

Edited by Hogie - November 28 2017 at 2:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic