Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no ich

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no ich
    Posted: August 01 2003 at 5:52am
Has anyone used the product no-ich ? If so did it work and would you use it again? My powder blue tang is starting to get ich. I have heard of garlic working as well perhaps I will use both.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 5:57am
I have used it without success. I would shoot for the garlic. Try to get the most stinky, foul smelling garlic that you can. Remember, the worse your fish tastes the better chance you have of getting the Ich to not stay on him.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 8:46am
If you can catch him I would also recommend a freshwater dip.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 10:08am
Go to harmons on 9th E and aprox 7800S in the natural foods section. The actually have garlic oil in a bottle like Lugols.
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 1:17pm
GNC carries this too, it's called Kyolic (Pure Garlic Extract) in a dropper.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 9:39pm
Any measurments on the garlic?
I already spent the money for the no ich. Very pricey.
I am going to dose it but I think I will also dose the garlic.
Jake do you think the freshwater dip would stress the fish? Or is it usually a good cure? I guess you wouldnt recomend it if you thought it was bad. I am just being paraniod because I dont want the fish to die.

Do cleaner shrimp usually help prevent ich? I read that and added one to the tank at the same time I put in the fish but it didnt help this time.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2003 at 8:17am
My tang had occasional ich problems (nothing sever) and my cleaner shrimp at the time would clean it quit regularly.  From what I have seen and heard they help with many of the parasites and scale disorders.  However, my coris wrasse ate my shrimp (at least I blame it on him as I am sure he ate my urchine too), and I had another one that was harassed to death by my maroon clowns.  So currently I don't have one.  And my coris wrasse jumped to its death.
RTaylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 6:05pm
I used the No Ich and it worked great for me, But in a 90gal one dosing and the bottle is gone. Pretty expensive.
RT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 6:36pm
Yes it is expensive but it appears to be working. I will let you guys know if it completly solves the problem. I also do have a cleaner shrimp in there as well.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 4:07pm
To my knowledge, it has been determined that the "ich" parasite is always present in our aquariums and perhaps rides on our fish in small numbers continuously.
Do we know what specific conditions cause it's population to flourish, to become major infestations leading to fish distress and death?
Have any of you been able to point to a specific change in tank conditions that led to an infestation?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 5:48am
The only time I have had a problem with ich is adding new fish. I am not sure if it is the stress of moving or an aclimation issue.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

frogster20001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogster20001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 7:04pm

Originally posted by Ryan Willden Ryan Willden wrote:

GNC carries this too, it's called Kyolic (Pure Garlic Extract) in a dropper.

Yes I went there today and purchased two bottles! Since wavemakers post...Garlic is the way to go from now on! I stand by it 100%!

Edited by frogster20001
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 7:13pm
Glad it worked for you. I prefer to make a "casserole" of sorts out of their food.

I mix about 10 Cubes of Brine Shrimp, a Tablespoon or more of Flake Food w/spirulina, and about 12-15 drops of Kyolic in a ziplock bag with 2 cups of water or so.

Then I just lay the ziplock flat enough where the food can freeze to about an 1/8 of an inch thick, and freeze it. Then when it's feeding time, I brake a piece off, and melt it in a glass of warm water, or just throw it in the sump for everybody to eat.

This works really well, and it keeps the garlic bonded to the food.

By the way, you can add whatever you want to this recipe. It's a great way for your fish to get a balanced diet, and to help with changing the diet of certain "tank raised" fish from Brine only, to Brine, Flake, and whatever else makes 'em happy.

Edited by Ryan Willden
djangoboots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 9:14am
Originally posted by pistonfister pistonfister wrote:

Yes it is expensive but it appears to be
working. I will let you guys know if it completly solves the problem. I
also do have a cleaner shrimp in there as well.

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I was just
wondering if the no ich did fully clear up your ich problem and about
how long did it take?
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 7:26am
I too would like to know the answer to that question.
That pesky ich parasite lives in three places during it's life cycle, as I understand it; the substrate, the water, and the fish. The garlic keeps it from bothering the fish but when the garlic stops, does it easily come back?

A funny thing a few years back was Albert Thiel's ich remedy www.athiel.com The buzz around town was that it was Tabasco Sauce. It smelled and looked like Tabasco Sauce. So I went to the kitchen and added a few drops to my tank daily. Sure enough, it worked for a week...until I stopped using it because the coral were starting to be diagreeable. The ich soon came back with a vengence.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 7:51am
I must be the only one skeptical about the powers of garlic.  It just seems hokey to me, but what do I know?  But, if my tank were to come down with ich I would surely try it (what could it hurt?).
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 9:05am

I used no-Ich Marine when it first came out with slow but favorable results. I also recently tried a single dose of garlic feeding, and got results with it as well. My fish were probably a little stressed out due to the move and I noticed a couple of spots on them and jumped on it.

From what I understand is that ich is ever present in our aquariums and that the fish are only suseptible when they are weakened by stress or sickness or whatever. I will assume that a change in the blood or tissue from the garlic repels the parasite similar to how alot of beer and garlic pizza repels women.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 8:59pm

Carl wrote "...similar to how alot of beer and garlic pizza repels women. "

That explains a lot!  If I had only known that much, much sooner!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 10:49pm
Well my take on the " No Ich " Is it seemed to make the ich go away but only for a short period of time. I may have not dosed enough. I have also seen the garlic work but have not had great results. Both fish I have treated for ich have eventually died
If I ever have this problem again I may setup a hospital tank with low salinity and copper.
Also from experance I think the best cure for ich is prevention. Cleaner shrimp, regular doses of garlic, and good water conditions.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 11:01pm

I used no-ich on my 90 gallon and it worked for me.  Won't bring your fish back from the dead, if it already has too much ich.  What I would do to prevent it is go buy a bunch of tank raised neon gobies from petco (only place that I could find that has tank raised, if anyone else knew a place let me know).  I have 3 in my tank and they are always cleaning my fish, and they eat fish food too unlike the cleaner wrasse that most of the time don't.  I haven't had a fish die of ich since, eventhough I'll see a spot or two all the time on my fish.  Just my experience.

Cody

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic