Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thanks for an awesome 2017!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks for an awesome 2017!
    Posted: December 31 2017 at 4:37pm
As my term as Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society President comes to a close. I wanted to take a moment to reflect on our 2017. 

My goals this year to not only increase attendance and memberships but to also increase our engagement.  My goals were modest but the group blew me away!

• We almost doubled our paid memberships from the previous year (more on that in a bit).
  • We had new members joining us for the first time at every event
  • We had a lot of members coming back to multiple meetings.  It is great seeing members chat with each other and friendships develop.
  • Our Facebook group expanded to over 500 members and more and more member engagement.

WMAS worked to get feedback from members and help make improvements. 

• We brought in two industry experts as speakers (Scott Fellman and Marc Levenson)
  • We had two excellent and engaging talks from our own Presidency (Paul Ricketts and Adam Blundell)
  • We tried something new this year with our FragFest.  We partnered with local stores (A Reef Oasis and Rusty’s Reefs) to have them buy and bring in coral for us that we then bought from them.  We fragged them a week before the event and let members view them at the stores.  This was a win/win/win for our members, our LFS and our group.  At the FragFest we had members picking out of frag tanks instead of grabbing bags.  Feedback was very positive with this change.
  • We brought back FragStock with overwhelming positive results.  Our Vendors and Members had a great time.  Great feedback. 
  • Made improvements to our LFS Tour with overwhelming response from tour goers and LFS. 

We made these improvements because of your feedback, please share your feedback in what we can do to make this a better community!  There is always more we can do to improve.

I felt our POTM really stepped it up, we had some awesome entries in each month.

Had a blast at the Winter Banquet at SeaQuest. 

One of our more popular events is our Holiday Potluck, just a chance to meet and hang out.

If you weren’t aware, WMAS is a 503 nonprofit entity, the money we get to pay for our building, door prizes, events, speakers all comes from fundraising, paid memberships and donations.  Any funds we receive go back into club 100%. We were able to do a lot this year because of you, our members.  I really want to thank you for your support in what was a banner year for us.  We have some great things planned for next year. 

This isn't every business who helped WMAS in 2017 but I want to acknowledge the group below for your help and support.

Aquatic Dreams, Coral Life, Driftwood Aquarium Furniture, SeaQuest Aquarium, Benepets, Rusty’s Reefs, A Reef Oasis, Reef On, Reef Legends, Reef Kingdom, C&C Candies, D and F’s Salty Heaven, Wasatch Reptile Show, Bulk Reef Supply, The Fish Tank

I also want to give a big thanks to our all voluntary Presidency for 2017:

Ayla Wimett, Dennis Wimett, Kenzy Hogan, Eddy Hogan, Faith Emrazian, Theresa White, David White, Paul Ricketts, Landon Daly, Dion Richins, Nicole Prettyman, Shaun Sabey and Kevin Youngberg for everything you did this year and your support of WMAS.

Thank you Jeff Stephenson for being the best Vice I would have asked for!

Thanks for all our Past Presidency who have helped support us throughout the year. 

Been a wild and crazy 6 years for me in Presidency and last two as Vice/President.  Looking forward to moving to Past Presidency and helping out there.  I am really excited to see what 2018 brings us and what Jeff and Theresa and our 2018 Presidency has in-store.  Thanks again!  Here is to 2017 and 2018 ahead. 

Sincerely,
Jon Dinchak
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 9:14pm
Thanks for the kind words Jon!  I couldn't have done any of it without you and your plan.

I can't wait to see what our presidency can do this year even with a smaller group. 

I appreciate all the time and effort you put in to get us where we are today.

Happy New Year!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic